Like Tree34Likes

Gwelio Beer: Avoid!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    I'll try but I sincerely doubt it'll make any difference in their process.

In order for this to happen there is a sterilization issue that allows bacteria to affect either the yeast in the fermentation stage or a bacteria that infiltrates and grows during the bottling phase. The fact that no one sussed this issue out and it has actually made it to shelves says a lot.

Beer because of the lower alcohol is much more susceptible to bacterial infections but like wine, whiskey or any other alcoholic beverage should undergo several stages of QC (during and after fermentation) and taste tests to identify potential issues and I think that's what's lacking here.
    That's great you know so much about beer.

But instead of posting to show how much you know about beer, why don't you devote your efforts to contacting and sharing with the company instead of publicly here?

These people's business is at stake, and they would probably care a lot about this feedback. You may very well be harming their livelihood by not speaking directly with them -- either to help them stop a bad batch asap, or by spreading bad PR.

(Same goes for feedback about their name...)
    shri and Doydbadyerd like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyelik:
    Please share do you get your beer & wine from, if not supermarkets
    You can order directly from Gweilo and they deliver. You get a good discounted price! (Granted, it's a larger quantity...)

Quote Originally Posted by hksomewhere:
    I've been avoiding this beer just because I don't care for the name of it. The word is a derogatory epithet to many people, including some non-Chinese who go back generations in HK. Whether you agree or not, I find it flippant for a couple expats to choose it as a quirky name for a beer.
    As a resident "ghost" it never really bothered me given HK's colonial past , bit tongue in cheek I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    That's great you know so much about beer.

But instead of posting to show how much you know about beer, why don't you devote your efforts to contacting and sharing with the company instead of publicly here?

These people's business is at stake, and they would probably care a lot about this feedback. You may very well be harming their livelihood by not speaking directly with them -- either to help them stop a bad batch asap, or by spreading bad PR.

(Same goes for feedback about their name...)
    Look I'm not posting to display my knowledge, lots of folks have more than me. I'm trying to save others the disappointment.

Can't stop a bad batch once it's on the shelves and I really doubt they'll send out a forensics team to investigate and pull them off the shelves. And like I've said this has happened over a year across several styles of beer so it's not just one bad batch.

At yours and others behest I'll give them a shout but I have my doubts.

If you're a Eurasian with HK family going back many generations, it isn't so amusing to be called a Gweilo day in day out. It suggests that you don't belong. Or if you're a dark skinned person being called "hak gwei" (black ghost). It seems to pepper the language especially when people are annoyed, so I don't find it to be a neutral, much less endearing term. I don't really care that much, but when i read that some young expats chose this as a quirky beer name, it hardly makes me want to support the brand.

Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hksomewhere:
    If you're a Eurasian with HK family going back many generations, it isn't so amusing to be called a Gweilo day in day out. It suggests that you don't belong. Or if you're a dark skinned person being called "hak gwei" (black ghost). It seems to pepper the language especially when people are annoyed, so I don't find it to be a neutral, much less endearing term. I don't really care that much, but when i read that some young expats chose this as a quirky beer name, it hardly makes me want to support the brand.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:

At yours and others behest I'll give them a shout but I have my doubts.
    Let us know what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Let us know what they say.
    Will do.

Relayed the info to someone who knows them personally.

I see them in the supermarket and I am NOT going to pay $ 23- for a small bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by CWB Bay:
    I see them in the supermarket and I am NOT going to pay $ 23- for a small bottle.
    Is there a cheaper way to buy beer in Hong Kong? Even lager seems to retail at those prices here.
    CharSiuNow likes this.