Like Tree288Likes

2020/21 Hong Kong Budget - News & Discussion

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

SCMP

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ckage-includes

kimwy66, Mr Chips and Redgun71 like this.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...2-20200226.htm

And with the financial secretary's earlier remarks that the deficit wouldn't top three percent of GDP, that would put it in the region of HK$60 billion to HK$80 billion.That's slightly more pessimistic than what experts are forecasting for this year. The "Big Four" accounting firms are predicting deficits between HK$38 billion and HK$70 billion – with reduced tax and land-sales revenues dragging income down, while tens of billions of dollars in relief measures drives expenditure up.In any case, this will be the city's first deficit in 15 years, and a far cry from the nearly HK$20-billion surplus that was predicted just 12 months ago.
    Book is open on the deficit. I'm going for upper end 75 billion.

I don't need 10k.

Ideas for how to give it back to those who do?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I don't need 10k.

Ideas for how to give it back to those who do?
    Maybe start a new thread on charity ideas. Lets focus this one on what the budget says
    shri, rkenia852, Loz_2 and 2 others like this.

18. To sum up, Hong Kong's economy is facing enormous challenges this year. The outlook is far from promising in the near term. Having regard to the stimulus effect of the fiscal measures, I forecast our economy will grow by -1.5 per cent to 0.5 per cent in real terms in 2020.
    Growth forecast...

- Concessionary low interest loan by govt. Max amount based on rental, subject to 2M

ntroducing a concessionary low-interest loan under the SME Financing Guarantee Scheme, under which 100% guarantee will be provided by the Government.

The application period will last for six months.

The maximum amount of loan for eligible enterprises is based on their salary and rental expenditures for six months, subject to a ceiling of $2 million.

The repayment period is up to three years and, on an opt-in basis, a principal moratorium is available for the first six months during which only interest payments have to be made. The Government will provide guarantee of up to $20 billion under this concessionary loan scheme;
    Mr Chips likes this.

Non domestic households - what does this mean?

Moreover, I will continue to implement the following measures:

(f) providing a subsidy to each eligible non-domestic household accounts for four extra months to cover 75 per cent of their monthly billed electricity charges, subject to a monthly cap of $5,000 per account. This will involve an expenditure of about $2.9 billion;

(g) waiving 75 per cent of water and sewage charges payable by non-domestic households for four extra months, subject to a monthly cap of $20,000 and $12,500 respectively per household. This will reduce government revenue by $340 million;

I have no idea why people* are wasting their time "guessing" the size of the budget deficit - unless you can also predict when (i) the Coronavirus will end and (ii) the mainland tourists will return in reasonable numbers it's complete speculation.

* possibly excepting the Financial Secretary who's job requires it

jrkob and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    - Concessionary low interest loan by govt. Max amount based on rental, subject to 2M
    Oh this is very good news.

And wait for this! Cruise ship berthing charges will be reduced / waived.

rkenia852 and eIIe like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast