Like Tree763Likes

Covid-19: Opinions and Insights

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Anyone remember how we shut down the economy and international air travel over the H1N1 outbreak of 2009 which infected 61 million people in the US and killed almost 600,000 people world wide?

Me neither. That's what's gonna happen with the WuFlu once people realize they are a bunch of overreacting crybabies.

Has lots of parallels, no vaccine at that time, was declared a pandemic by the WHO in June, caused acute respiratory failure, 80% of fatalities were below the age of 65 etc. and yet I don't remember half the posts on Geo being about it.
    No. You are comparing apple to oranges, again. There was nowhere near the degree of travel curtailment or quarantine with the H1N1. The scale of the outbreak was also far smaller.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 09-03-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    RMDNC and tinlissie like this.

Anyone remember how we shut down the economy and international air travel over the H1N1 outbreak of 2009 which infected 61 million people in the US and killed almost 600,000 people world wide?

Me neither. That's what's gonna happen with the WuFlu once people realize they are a bunch of overreacting crybabies.

Has lots of parallels, no vaccine at that time, was declared a pandemic by the WHO in June, caused acute respiratory failure, 80% of fatalities were below the age of 65 etc. and yet I don't remember half the posts on Geo being about it.
    The fatality rate of the 2009-10 H1N1 was estimated at 0.01 to 0.1%. As far as I recall there were a lot less severe cases, not the current 10% or so. Take a trip to northern Italy and see if you think they are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well the thing is, if control measures are ineffective, would those businesses suffering losses from quarantine measures imposed on them can claim compensation? I doubt it in many cases, but the economic losses racking up here surpass that of the flu though.
    if the business has 'insurance for business interruption' then they can claim, but generally, i doubt any gov will offer compensation as result of outbreaks or acts of god, unless it's a total disaster, the compensation will be for the general public, not necessarily for commerical businesses
    Coolboy likes this.

Got my coronavirus emotional support hamster, I'm set...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Got my coronavirus emotional support hamster, I'm set...
    Well you can always eat him/her if things get bad. (Don't mean that he/she is so cute!)

Original Post Deleted
    There are thousands of people dying everyday from thousands of different causes and nobody loses their shit over them. Whether I'm right or wrong is something we will probably know at the end of the year. Things that have killed more people than Covid19 so far: Air Pollution, the Flu, Rabies, Drownings, Traffic Accidents, Obesity, Malaria. Once WuFlu deaths outnumber the flu I might shut up.

On the bright side, we might manage to hit our climate targets this year.
    chingleutsch and Cheeky Kiwi like this.

There are thousands of people dying everyday from thousands of different causes and nobody loses their shit over them. Whether I'm right or wrong is something we will probably know at the end of the year. Things that have killed more people than Covid19 so far: Air Pollution, the Flu, Rabies, Drownings, Traffic Accidents, Obesity, Malaria. Once WuFlu deaths outnumber the flu I might shut up.

On the bright side, we might manage to hit our climate targets this year.
    Of all those causes of death how many completely overwhelm health systems? Really you are not talking sense.

It's not about Covid-19 sticking around long-term or not. It is about the use of fear to drive panic and consumption. Lower interest rates stopped working. Viral infections definitely boosted inflation and domestic consumption. It worked for China with pork and now it has worked for many places with a host of industries benefiting from fear.

I am astonished that people get to moved by small numbers - look at the league table being published everywhere. Everyone is overly sensitive and precious thesedays, but even more removed from what is rational.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Of all those causes of death how many completely overwhelm health systems? Really you are not talking sense.
    Lot's of people go to the hospital for the smallest of ailments. I would say the list is pretty good and depending on where you are in the world, can definitely overwhelm health systems.

I would say developed nations are too focused on people that do not contribute to society. Ironically, it is these people who have much to lose, will take any treatements they can get and will hold on strong and live longer lives than their kids will.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    It's not about Covid-19 sticking around long-term or not. It is about the use of fear to drive panic and consumption. Lower interest rates stopped working. Viral infections definitely boosted inflation and domestic consumption. It worked for China with pork and now it has worked for many places with a host of industries benefiting from fear.

I am astonished that people get to moved by small numbers - look at the league table being published everywhere. Everyone is overly sensitive and precious thesedays, but even more removed from what is rational.
    So you think covid19 has boosted inflation? As to the rest of the post it is bordering on insanity.
    Coolboy, RMDNC and tinlissie like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast