Like Tree763Likes

Covid-19: Opinions and Insights

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

You would have thought that the big global stock market drops would have been a clue.

GentleGeorge likes this.

As one of the boomers whose opinion was requested, on a personal level I figure we've all got to go some time and an acute pneumonia is a relatively easy way to go (although very selfishly I would prefer to follow me dear ol' dad and just have a massive heart attack during my morning swim. Even quicker, but the pool staff were a bit upset). And I've had enough adventures and happiness that if next week is my time I don't think I'd have any regrets. If not, that's fine too.

The peers I pity are those who have stuck it out on the professional hamster wheel, stashing $$$$$ into the retirement fund in the hope of having a more fun retirement, who are very likely to find both a lot of investments and their jobs vanish into thin air as the world economy disappears off the edge of the cliff (as seems inevitable just now).

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Of all those causes of death how many completely overwhelm health systems? Really you are not talking sense.
    Quite right none of them do overwhelm medical systems because they don't cripple or kill the attending medical and nursing staff : that's just one reason why corona is a game changer .

Even though many people from different countries got infected with virus, they have recovered from it. there are 62000 cases who got recovered. So we can control the spread of virus by taking proper precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Got my coronavirus emotional support hamster, I'm set...
    https://twitter.com/janemerri...29967911272451

Just thought of this when I saw this piece of trivia.

Covid-19: Opinions and Insights

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    safer than many places yes but not all. And consider the percentage population in your calculations. HK only has 7 million and are shoe horned into a tiny space. Other countries have similar numbers but 10times the population spread over a wide area. There’s no logic to some of the panic going on out there,
    Unfortunately, numbers are not on your side for this argument.

Hong Kong
    7.4 million
    1,106 km²
    Corona cases: 118

Switzerland
    8.57 million
    41,285 km²
    Corona cases: 374

There are several other examples.

Anecdotally, Switzerland has 40x the amount of space and incredibly high standards for hygiene and health care. Zero experience with a corona virus. I have to say, I thought the same way as you, but I've been amazed to see how "spread out" countries in Europe have fallen with numbers rising.

Hong Kong is one of the "safest" places to be, as it seems their experience in handling this kind of situation is paying off.

Why anyone would be lamenting about cancelling holidays at this point, I don't understand. People need to stay the heck put! No place in the world is "safe" and trying to get from one place to another is endangering everyone!

Meanwhile... as a teacher, can I lament about how bad students are at reading instructions? As we have exams, the issues I've come across this week, argh argh argh! Come on kiddos! It's not rocket science to click a link posted in multiple places!
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 11-03-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    tinlissie likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Well, possibly . Don't know. I'm no scienrist. Got the stats on that? Plenty of folks getting it without flying. Mental health is important too and I for one am getting a little stir crazy around here. I'm going to try and get out of Hong Kong for Easter. There's nothing to do, other thank hike and I'm getting bored of that.

Well, possibly . Don't know. I'm no scienrist. Got the stats on that? Plenty of folks getting it without flying. Mental health is important too and I for one am getting a little stir crazy around here. I'm going to try and get out of Hong Kong for Easter. There's nothing to do, other thank hike and I'm getting bored of that.
    At this point it's not about the risk of catching the virus necessarily. What will you do if your return flights are cancelled? Or your holiday destination introduces mandatory quarantine for arrivals from HK a few days before you depart? Or HK introduces mandatory quarantine for arrivals from your destination?

There are too many cases in HK now related to travel, why take a risk? Look at that travel group who went to India and have now shared it with their friends, family, and helpers. Do you want to be that guy?

Schools should institute a 14 day quarantine on anyone who travels, teacher or student, whenever school opens.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:

Schools should institute a 14 day quarantine on anyone who travels, teacher or student, whenever school opens.
    this isolation should also extend to anyone who has close contact with anyone that had traveled in the past 14 days. also, anyone that has been to a conference, a church, a temple, nursing home, cruise ships, airplanes, wet markets of any sort, hospitals, medical clinics,

I have it informally from a top (national) level infectious diseases expert working on this in another country- wash your hands frequently and avoid non essential air travel.

Sure, there are plenty of reasons to fly still, but to pretend that it's not an elevated risk is a bit disingenuous.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast