Like Tree208Likes

Covid-19: Opinions and Insights - #2

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...through-faeces

Test your stools

Original Post Deleted
    fortune.com/2020/03/15/coronavirus-taiwan-cases-response/amp/

Hope you’ll pardon my jumping in, although I’m sure she’ll give her own response, but how about the other China or Singapore?

The fact is that in other societies, people are free to express their opinions and analyse the information. Look at the volte-face from the U.K. when they are getting it wrong (in the opinion of most) for instance. This particular government needs to take full responsibility because it has full control of the information and doesn’t allow dissenting voices. If you are the only alternative, then it’s on you I’m afraid...
    juanalias and eIIe like this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/one-doctor-prepares-coronavirus/608068/

The issue with this virus that diverges from things like SARS and some of the most scary recent pandemics we’ve seen is that this virus is clearly shedding for four to five days before patients become symptomatic. And in fact, we have a lot of signals that even when patients become symptomatic, things like fever may not be present early on in the course of the illness.
    Content warning - very contrarian viewpoint at this time
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/
    Last edited by AsianXpat0; 18-03-2020 at 12:10 AM.

On further reflection, think I still in good conscience disagree considering places like HK and Singapore are actively doing contact tracing and testing, and we aren’t seeing fatality rates as his controversial viewpoint continues to insist on. Don’t regret mentally testing the current consensus though. Still puzzled by the “undocumented cases” hypothesis/data provided elsewhere. Hopefully more sleep brings clarity.

Did anyone ever say that younger people did not catch covid19? That is a strange point for her to make.

The very high fatality rate for the elderly is perhaps due to them not having the resources to intubate over 60s as reported elsewhere. When selection on who to save is based on age then figures like this are surely no surprise.

I am reading reports of the UK NHS already under stress yet the figures show 1800 active cases of which 20 are serious.

These two things don't seem to match for me.

GentleGeorge and timonoj like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes agreed that is its natural state, but specific mention is made of the influx of covid19 cases.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I am reading reports of the UK NHS already under stress yet the figures show 1800 active cases of which 20 are serious.

These two things don't seem to match for me.
    From reading other UK-based forums there seem to be several viruses going around right now. People are told to self-isolate with any flu-like symptoms and are reporting symptoms that don’t seem to be COVID eg productive cough, vomiting, nasal congestion. So I think NHS has its hands full with normal seasonal illness with COVID now on top of that.

In HK our zealous anti COVID behavior actually ended flu season early which reduced strain on the hospital system.
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    From reading other UK-based forums there seem to be several viruses going around right now. People are told to self-isolate with any flu-like symptoms and are reporting symptoms that don’t seem to be COVID eg productive cough, vomiting, nasal congestion. So I think NHS has its hands full with normal seasonal illness with COVID now on top of that.

In HK our zealous anti COVID behavior actually ended flu season early which reduced strain on the hospital system.
    Yes that makes total sense.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast