Like Tree33Likes

GSIS Business School Shutdown by HK Govt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

@mrgoodkat - I think the problem might be that 1 student who was entered into this program with a "bachelors degree"

But the Education Bureau’s latest investigation found that in recent years the college had pupils older than 20, as well as some who held bachelor’s degrees.
    Jackie1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    @mrgoodkat - I think the problem might be that 1 student who was entered into this program with a "bachelors degree"
    Not sure what the rules are, but someone with a bachelor's degree going back to primary school doesn't magically turn it into a post-secondary school either. It's not post-secondary, but having a good vocational training degree in Germany might be worth more than a shitty bachelor in social sciences, especially in technical careers.

but having a good vocational training degree in Germany might be worth more than a shitty bachelor in social sciences, especially in technical careers.
    Ok, that part makes complete sense. I suspect this is some paper-pushing-licensing interpretation at work then.

mrgoodkat got here first, but yes, Berufschule (business school) is one of the senior secondary education options for students in Germany who are not planning/ able to proceed to university education.

As for student ages, heck, it feels like just yesterday (probably a couple of decades) when people in their 20s and a lot older were using their spare time here to study for their Primary 6 exams even if they had already completed vocational training in one or more fields.

shri and Jackie1 like this.

Looks like they are trying to become a normal international school without influence by the Swiss and German governments. Next step: raising tuition and debentures.

Jackie1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Looks like they are trying to become a normal international school without influence by the Swiss and German governments. Next step: raising tuition and debentures.
    complete shitshow if you ask me. whoever let it get to the point where the government of Switzerland officially pulls out of this must be mad - or at a minimum not capable of managing the governance of an institution properly.

on a side note, their governance dispute over language requirements is surely going to be tested in court since the rules were pretty clear and the argument that those rules somehow suddenly are not valid anymore is at arguable in court.. so well done for putting the whole school through a big, public mess, wasting millions of lawyer fees and distracting everyone from providing a good learning experience.

and for what benefit? to shut down the German stream and put more funding into the English stream?

makes me question whether such a school should be an option for our kids at all
    shri, MatthieuTofu and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09
    complete shitshow if you ask me. whoever let it get to the point where the government of Switzerland officially pulls out of this must be mad - or at a minimum not capable of managing the governance of an institution properly.

on a side note, their governance dispute over language requirements is surely going to be tested in court since the rules were pretty clear and the argument that those rules somehow suddenly are not valid anymore is at arguable in court.. so well done for putting the whole school through a big, public mess, wasting millions of lawyer fees and distracting everyone from providing a good learning experience.

and for what benefit? to shut down the German stream and put more funding into the English stream?

The English stream makes up 2/3 of the students, but it only exists because that is a condition of the land lease. The school probably calculates it can earn more money by only having the English stream and getting more rich local/Mainland kids without some pesky government telling them how much to charge. Afaik, German/Swiss children also get priority admission without needing to spend money on debentures.
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09

I would be enraged if I was paying full fees and then find out the school will be wasting money on legal fees for this nonsense.

This timing makes both the school and the Swiss government look extremely petty also.
    Coolboy likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2