Like Tree332Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Stupid racism then to blame an ethnic group. Trump supporters probably.
    You sound like an educated person in your posts. Let's face the reality. I pride myself on being near-zero racist and even my love for humanity is getting stretched by what's going on. This is reality and it has only so much to do with Trump. There are many others to blame for what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto
    Zeman's best friends at the local CCP/United Front propaganda rag:

"A Hong Kong broadsheet referred to clusters linked to Lan Kwai Fong as the “Downfall of the Devil’s Den” in yesterday’s front page."

His latest passport acquisition - that of the exclusive PRC type - makes him no less an Other here, just another (decreasingly) useful idiot.

I don't know if there's ever a good time to visit LKF, but this is the worst possible time. And #wearafuckingmask

https://twitter.com/maryhui/status/1241354801226461184
    Just reading through the thread now. Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics used to justify this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebayhtl
    This is inaccurate re topic at hand (some other issues may have sheep mentality) and shows selfishness.

Let's keep it simple:

- Masks do not prevent the wearer from being infected by others.
    - Masks do help prevent the wearer from infecting others if they are infected - and note many COVID19 cases have been involved being asymptomatic.

So masks are not useless, and is part of a wider focus on hygiene and prevention of community infection (obviously any hygiene regime involved other measures). It's no surprise that the rate of infection in HK has been flattening out until last week.

Also keep in mind the unique conditions (particularly population density) and history (particularly SARS) of HK that requires particular vigilence. Being a good citizen of the community doesn't involve saying "piss off you're a sheep" to local customs that are there for good reason.

Not being vigilant about hygienie in public in HK - supermarkets, public transport etc - is essentially a determination that you are more important than the wider community. It is not at the same level as eg anti vaccine people, but the thinking is along the same line. I would strongly argue regular mask wearing is part of that hygiene regime in HK.

Hoarding is bad, and I wish the government had a greater focus on providing essential supplies to the public.

Taking a reasonable level of responsibility towards others is good and what we should all be doing. Definitely not perfect or going overboard with hygiene, but also very happy to admit my thinking on this issue has significantly evolved since late January.

Final note - the above doesn't mean anyone has to be perfect. Given the small apartment size for many in HK, there is no way everyone can implement social distancing - unlike many other countries, entire social distancing in HK essentially means a jail like condition, and ignores deep underlying customs in HK (eg many parents are reliant on their children and grandchildren for physical and mental support, many people being in apartments that have no or limited cooking facilities, many employment positions not offering WFH or WFH not being possible at all, can't keep your kids at home all day with no schools). Obviously people who are out partying are not in this group, but I understand why there are still regularly people on the streets - which makes it more important to maintain a good hygiene regime if we are regularly stepping out.
    So, to sum up, what you're saying is - all the risks locals take that might increase the spread of infection are absolutely fine. Risks dirty foriegners take are shameful.

Is that how viruses work? Are viruses able to discriminate between the different types of risk and not infect people when the risk falls into one of the correct categories?
    sv336 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips
    To hell with it... as far as I'm concerned, those of you not masking up in public are worse than anti-vaxxers...

/rant off
    Less concerned about dead babies now then?

Damn, my trial Amazon order for masks fell through. Totally expected, of course. As a separate note, saw some info on the internet that US apparel manufacturers re-purpose their factories to produce masks from US-grown cotton. The factories are in Latin America. If those countries try blocking the shipments - a short flight for the Marines to rescue the masks. Mask you ass up - HK!

Thank you for shopping with us. Amazon seller 杭州望柯印染助剂经营部 has encountered an unexpected problem with completing your order.

Message from seller 杭州望柯印染助剂经营部:

Dear:
    Hello, I'm a new seller, my masks are 50pcs 24.99 $ , I'm very sorry because my mistaken shipping time is set incorrectly, so I can't arrive in 5 days, please cancel your order, bring you inconvenience, and apologize to you again!

You can send an anonymous message to the seller 杭州望柯印染助剂经营部, that does not expose your real email address, by replying to this email.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Having been to Singapore on my jaunts around Asia, I can tell you almost nobody was wearing a mask in Singapore. Maybe 1 in 10 when I was there in early March.
    This is not true. I am from Singapore and came to Hong Kong as an intern in early Mar
    In Singapore, more than half of the population wore masks in Feb. But by Mar, fewer people were wearing them. The main reason is that we can't buy enough masks, not that we think they are useless.
    We all envy that countries like Taiwan, South Korea and Japan can provide their citizens with enough masks.
    In fact, since Mar, there have been an increasing number of cases in Singapore where no trace has been made to the source. All this worries us Singaporeans.

The Singapore government is one of the best in the world at tracing the source of the infection, which is why we have been able to keep it under control.
    However, compared with Hong Kong, Despite its geographical proximity to Mainland China, the climate is not as hot as Singapore, and the government is not as effective as Singapore, they have fewer cases than Singapore.
    In all these respects, Hong Kong has been more successful than Singapore in controlling the outbreak.

My profession teaches us that masks can effectively reduce the chance of infection and infecting others. My colleagues and I were surprised when western governments and the WHO claim masks aren't effective.
    I won't guess why they claim that but our Singapore government was honest to admit that it was a risky decision not to provide masks to all the citizens.
    After our government uniformly distributed 4 masks to each citizen, the rest was left to the medical staffs. At least our government won't lie and say masks don't work.
    One of the research I have studied in my profession has shown that masks can reduce the chance of primary school students catching the flu. Primary school students are the most difficult group to use masks properly, and they can prove the effectiveness of masks on them. I don't why there is someone who thinks that using masks on adults increases the risk.
    Last edited by Wahpiang; 23-03-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    ArrynField likes this.

I will pick staying home/minimising social contact and not wear a mask than going out and about strutting in a mask all day.

I bet a dollar that those who went to LKH thought their beautiful masks would shield them from all harm and left their brain at home have caused more harm.

This to me is the conundrum of mask wearing. Net net it's negative because of the false sense of security it brings.

Stay away from WHITE people, deadly virus are speading from them, they do not wear mask. Stay away from Central, Lkf, Admiralty Discovery bay, outbreak will happen there. Please ask white people off the bus if they don’t wear mask, as their are endangering the entire group of passengers and driver.

Last edited by tt2003; 23-03-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hching
    I will pick staying home/minimising social contact and not wear a mask than going out and about strutting in a mask all day.

I bet a dollar that those who went to LKH thought their beautiful masks would shield them from all harm and left their brain at home have caused more harm.

This to me is the conundrum of mask wearing. Net net it's negative because of the false sense of security it brings.
    Of course between those two extremes there is normal sensible people.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast