Like Tree640Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tt2003:
    as a hk citiezen i am responsible to scold obnoxious white people who violate rules not wear mask. i need to keep my beloved place healthy.
    How about non-white who do not wear mask? Do you also scold them?
    shri likes this.

as a hk citiezen i am responsible to scold obnoxious white people who violate rules not wear mask. i need to keep my beloved place healthy.
    Seriously, you come off as an agent provocateur. If you’re as genuinely repugnant as you are sounding now, I don’t think most HK people can accept your behaviour, let alone expats.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    My observation is there are 5 times as many non white people not wearing masks. Go to the sea food restaurants in Sai Kung and see for yourself and keep some of that obnoxious racist hate for them.... Then again if you don't like it, you know where the airport is.
    My husband had a rant at about 20 locals strolling on a hiking trail yesterday, most not masked, all close together, forced him (masked) off the trail as he tried to avoid them. They gave him a few choice words in return. Friday night he sent photo of a guy from the MTR, again local no mask, talking loudly on a phone, sweaty, spitting as he talked. I saw similar myself the other day walking through the market to the post office.

One thing that definitely isn't a good look these days - feeding the frenzy on xenophobia in HK.
    AsianXpat0 and shri like this.

I just parked and went to the public loo. There was around a dozen local Chinese there gathered around and not a single one of them was wearing a mask... But the obnoxious white person (me) was wearing one.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Friday night he sent photo of a guy from the MTR, again local no mask, talking loudly on a phone.
    Just wondering, how can you see from a photo if somebody talks loudly?
    juanalias likes this.

it is not racism, majority of white dont wear mask.
    That;s just not true. I rarely see a person not wearing a mask and pretty much all the white people I know wear them on public transport. A few white people (who may be tourists, since there are (were) still tourists arriving. You can't expect tourists to pick up local culture on their first day here.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    That;s just not true. I rarely see a person not wearing a mask and pretty much all the white people I know wear them on public transport. A few white people (who may be tourists, since there are (were) still tourists arriving. You can't expect tourists to pick up local culture on their first day here.
    My significant other (香港人) and I (gweilo) had brunch in Soho yesterday...we estimated around 80% of folks we saw wore masks. Of the 20% not wearing masks, it was evenly split local/gweilo. I saw the same on the street today.

Quote Originally Posted by CWB Bay:
    Masks are basically useless. But no sheeple will ever understand that. 'Look, I have mask. I am safe.'
    Noone ever said that wearing a mask will guarantee you to be 100% 'safe'. But evidence and fact based analysis over decades of medical industry professionals experience with an intellect 1000x greater than yours have consistently demonstrated that by adhering as much as possible to proven health guidelines and good hygiene that the risk of infection and spreading can be minimised.

You might feel fine. Your elderly relatives and any of those who might be at risk who u care about likely do not share the same sentiment as you. Likewise, locals who give you dirty looks feel the same way.

judging by your comments and actions you probably fall into the 18 year old age group of Spring Breakers who similarly have demonstrated that stupidity clearly is their strong suit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    If masks are working to protect yourself from the virus why does it matter if someone else doesn't wear one? Or don't they actually work like that after all?
    Could you please google "asymptomatic" and understand what it means?
    Maybe then you will understand why wearing masks is not only to protect YOURSELF, it is to protect OTHERS.
    East_coast, Mr Chips and Cornmeal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    My two cents worth.

Whether masks work or not isn't really the issue here I feel. The paranoia, fear and inevitable ensuing blame game are all bigger risks to most of us than this virus. Wearing a mask doesn't cost a lot, doesn't hurt anybody and may just help dial down the crazy a bit around people.

I'm not wearing one out all the time, but in a crowded area or on transport I will put one on. Not because I am worried about catching the virus or spreading anything to others, it's because people are stressed and scared and sometimes stressed and scared people do irrational things.

Not wearing a mask as a point of principle seems bizarre to me, though I find the 'wear a fucking mask' zealots equally unnecessary given that there is seemingly no consensus on the effectiveness of types of masks people are wearing around town. Many people have decided that masks keep them safe - it doesn't matter if they are right or wrong - not wearing one in certain situations scares people. Not sure why you would go out of your way to make people frightened of you, unless you are a bit of a dick.

So just put one on where there are other people and dial down the tension a bit - God knows we could all do with a little less stress at the moment.

EDIT: Full disclosure - I haven't been wearing a mask since the beginning, I didn't have any and wasn't prepared to camp out overnight to get any as I personally don't feel they accomplish a lot in the way they are generally used. As the situation has developed I've changed my opinion, I think it's worth also pointing out that what people were or weren't doing in February doesn't matter now.
    I agree completely.

I'm starting to get a bit upset with "white people" because I don't want to see mass blame or hysteria. The racism is fully against us, even though there's a fair share of locals in "their neighborhood" not wearing masks. Signs going up everywhere in my areas, only in English. Very clearly targeted to a certain demographic. So, I really wonder why the "foreigners" (who have maybe even been in HK longer than some ethnically Chinese people) can't play along to help minimize the damage and racism this is causing. I also am surprised they are not changing their behavior faster due to what we're seeing in "the west".

But I'll say something uncomfortable... I never, ever wore a mask for my many years here until recently. It was an uncomfortable experience that made me feel awkward. To be honest, it reminded me of wearing feminine hygiene products for the first time. I really felt horrified by wearing them. I've accepted it now.

I think Hong Kongers may need to accept that this is simply too big of a cultural shift to expect to happen overnight. I think they don't quite realize how utterly foreign it is to those of us who never knew the public to wear them.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast