Like Tree332Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    Made plenty of good arguments earlier, peer reviewed ones, but you didn't seem to notice those.

It's 1 # and while it may annoy those who are already doing their part, sorry but I'm not the droid you're looking for.
    Luigi is sat on the hillside with his son looking over the beautiful bay.

See all those pretty houses? I built all of those but do they call me Luigi the Housebuilder? No!

See all those boats bobbing in the bay? I built all of those but do they call me Luigi the Boatbuilder? No!

See the roads winding up the hills? I built all of those but do they call me Luigi the Roadbuilder? No!

I shag one sheep.......
    jgl, Cornmeal, Mr Chips and 1 others like this.

Why is still even being "debated"?

If you have a fucking mask, wear it.

If you don't have one and live anywhere even remotely near a place where the Wuhan virus has appeared, buy one yesterday or use a makeshift bandana or something if you go out.

Anything else and you're either an ignorant moron or an indifferent moron. Pardon moi for bluntness.

If it helps reduce the compound transmission rate by a single percent it's already worth it. We know it does a lot more than that.

https://twitter.com/naval/status/1242152190581428226

Meanwhile I still see leading, and sadly influential, medical officials in Europe stating that masks aren't necessary. The day they're sacked can't come too soon. They may be ignorant morons, which is unforgivable in their position, or hopefully but no less excusably, they're simply lying because there's a severe shortage. Since even DIY fabric masks are helpful it just has to be the former.

Cornmeal and gigglinggal like this.

"If you have a fucking mask, wear it."

I prefer ~ if you don't need to go out and watch a movie, wine and dine, hang out at a pub and generally think you are looking at a disaster in the comfort of a mask, stay home.

"Meanwhile I still see leading, and sadly influential, medical officials in Europe stating that masks aren't necessary."

There is often a big part of the equation that the mask hoarders selectively omits. These influential, medical officials, etc you mentioned usually end their sentence like this - "so that people who need them, such as sick people and medical staff can have them so that they can treat do their job".

Every time I see random people in full hospital gear showing up on the street, I would think to myself, an Italian or Spanish medical staff is probably dead because of that. Because of their death, more will not be treated and infect others.

Where do these people get these equipment anyway and why are government hospitals loosing gears?

Most people think mask wearing protects them, not because they are considerate. If they are, most of them would have stayed home, not throwing used masks in the hiking trails.

Lastly, we already knew that them same transmission mechanism will pass the virus through their eyes. So if we are wearing a mask not eye protection, are we still the heroes that we think we are?

Kowloon72 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hching
    "If you have a fucking mask, wear it."

I prefer ~ if you don't need to go out and watch a movie, wine and dine, hang out at a pub and generally think you are looking at a disaster in the comfort of a mask, stay home.

"Meanwhile I still see leading, and sadly influential, medical officials in Europe stating that masks aren't necessary."

There is often a big part of the equation that the mask hoarders selectively omits. These influential, medical officials, etc you mentioned usually end their sentence like this - "so that people who need them, such as sick people and medical staff can have them so that they can treat do their job".

Every time I see random people in full hospital gear showing up on the street, I would think to myself, an Italian or Spanish medical staff is probably dead because of that. Because of their death, more will not be treated and infect others.

Where do these people get these equipment anyway and why are government hospitals loosing gears?

Most people think mask wearing protects them, not because they are considerate. If they are, most of them would have stayed home, not throwing used masks in the hiking trails.

Lastly, we already knew that them same transmission mechanism will pass the virus through their eyes. So if we are wearing a mask not eye protection, are we still the heroes that we think we are?
    Wearing a mask to go hiking is still better than going to a bar or party without mask on, although neither is recommended

The truth is that those who are still keen on going to parties, most of whom are against wearing masks, they are the ones who should be criticised the most

The message is always clear, that is to stay at home and keep a social distance. If people have to go out to work or for grocery, be sure to wear a mask since Hong Kong is a very dense city

If you're constantly picking on the misbehavior of people wearing masks, there will be, but this is meaningless. This is, to put it bluntly, a stealing concept. Even if their behavior is wrong, it does not mean that the advocacy of wearing masks is fundamentally wrong.

"Where do these people get these equipment anyway and why are government hospitals loosing gears?"

Wearing masks is always a part of east Asian culture, they make a lot of masks all year round
    and I don't believe that public health systems in Europe and the United States go to the supermarket to buy gears. You should ask why those governments are so bad at crisis management and why the same problem has not happened to Taiwan, Japan and Korea. And don't blame Asian mask wearing culture for the incompetence of U.S. and European governments

"Lastly, we already knew that them same transmission mechanism will pass the virus through their eyes. So if we are wearing a mask not eye protection, are we still the heroes that we think we are?"

So Hong Kong medical experts suggest to wear eye shield if possible, even glasses can also help a bit. Even if the eyes are not covered, the mouth and nose are still the most susceptible areas. If you use a mask, the chances of infection will be reduced at least in part that is common sense.

Last edited by Wooden; 26-03-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    TigerSun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField
    Such simple common sense does not need to be said in the prestigious medical journals of the Lancet, and sadly such common sense is still at issue here on page 17

Name:  IMG-20200326-WA0006.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  101.3 KB

We're not allowed to talk in lifts anymore
    Kowloon72 and Fiona in HKG like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Name:  IMG-20200326-WA0006.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  101.3 KB

We're not allowed to talk in lifts anymore
    Isn't it one of those wonderful Western (or at least Anglo) social pressure things that everyone has to clam up immediately upon entering a lift?

We could definitely do with that over here- too many times in the elevator at work, I'd be catching an earful of (typically) Mandarin screaming at outdoor volumes from just behind me.
    CChups111 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl

We could definitely do with that over here- too many times in the elevator at work, I'd be catching an earful of (typically) Mandarin screaming at outdoor volumes from just behind me.
    There are only three volume settings that I'm aware of when speaking canto or mandarin: Loud, very loud and screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden
    Wearing a mask to go hiking is still better than going to a bar or party without mask on, although neither is recommended

The truth is that those who are still keen on going to parties, most of whom are against wearing masks, they are the ones who should be criticised the most

The message is always clear, that is to stay at home and keep a social distance. If people have to go out to work or for grocery, be sure to wear a mask since Hong Kong is a very dense city

If you're constantly picking on the misbehavior of people wearing masks, there will be, but this is meaningless. This is, to put it bluntly, a stealing concept. Even if their behavior is wrong, it does not mean that the advocacy of wearing masks is fundamentally wrong.

"Where do these people get these equipment anyway and why are government hospitals loosing gears?"

Wearing masks is always a part of east Asian culture, they make a lot of masks all year round
    and I don't believe that public health systems in Europe and the United States go to the supermarket to buy gears. You should ask why those governments are so bad at crisis management and why the same problem has not happened to Taiwan, Japan and Korea. And don't blame Asian mask wearing culture for the incompetence of U.S. and European governments

"Lastly, we already knew that them same transmission mechanism will pass the virus through their eyes. So if we are wearing a mask not eye protection, are we still the heroes that we think we are?"

So Hong Kong medical experts suggest to wear eye shield if possible, even glasses can also help a bit. Even if the eyes are not covered, the mouth and nose are still the most susceptible areas. If you use a mask, the chances of infection will be reduced at least in part that is common sense.

The first two paragraphs of this. Jesus wept.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis
    There are only three volume settings that I'm aware of when speaking canto or mandarin: Loud, very loud and screaming.
    Nah, in Taiwan people are pretty soft spoken. In China though, I was surprised by how loud some people speak, the louder it gets if they are further away from the city. I know it's stereotyping, but there are just some who scream like they have never used a cell phone.

Sadly, masks won't save us, and definitely won't save Taxi drivers. They are high risk, and probably should be wearing half or full face respirators. Also, if you think they wear their masks all the time, good luck. I've seen many just with their mask off (or smoking) when they are available for hire.

For us low risk people, it's just to lower the risk of us possibly being infected and spreading it.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast