Like Tree640Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Just going to add my opinion on whether we should wear masks or not. Firstly, we can all agree that a mask doesn't do f*ck all protection - particles will pass through bla bla.

If you are sick, you would generally wear a mask to prevent spreading. The mask is good at capturing droplets from the spreader. Can we agree on this?

If we do agree on the point above and given that you can contract Coronvirus with 0 symptoms, wouldn't it make sense that we all wear masks to prevent spreading?

So whats the point debating whether we should wear masks or not (for HK). Masks only work in a society where literally everyone is wearing one and that's pretty much 8/10 people in Hong Kong.

So yes, we should all be wearing masks when we go out in public, not for self protection, but for the main purpose of not spreading the virus if we catch it somehow without knowing.

Would I recommend my parents to wear a mask in UK? absolutely not because no one is wearing them in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by banditz:
    Just going to add my opinion on whether we should wear masks or not. Firstly, we can all agree that a mask doesn't do f*ck all protection - particles will pass through bla bla.

If you are sick, you would generally wear a mask to prevent spreading. The mask is good at capturing droplets from the spreader. Can we agree on this?

If we do agree on the point above and given that you can contract Coronvirus with 0 symptoms, wouldn't it make sense that we all wear masks to prevent spreading?

So whats the point debating whether we should wear masks or not (for HK). Masks only work in a society where literally everyone is wearing one and that's pretty much 8/10 people in Hong Kong.

So yes, we should all be wearing masks when we go out in public, not for self protection, but for the main purpose of not spreading the virus if we catch it somehow without knowing.

Would I recommend my parents to wear a mask in UK? absolutely not because no one is wearing them in UK.
    2/10.

What did I just waste my time reading?
    gigglinggal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    2/10.

What did I just waste my time reading?
    Thanks Buddy

These days I go out about three times a week, to walk for exercise. I go to an area where most other people are jogging or walking and, like me, not wearing a mask.

I was alone in the lift, going down. It stopped and a woman started automatically getting in, then stopped with a jolt when she saw me. But she came in - it would have been difficult not to. She stood in the opposite corner, with her back to me.

As we approached the ground floor I moved to indicate that I would get out first. She moved just after me and I realised she was anxious to get out as quickly as possible. I got out first and walked briskly away; she lingered, so that there were several feet between us.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Yes and anywhere I can stuff it. I'm only wearing it for social acceptance so I don't care much about its provenance.
    Genuinely curious about your motivation for this part of your post: "I'm only wearing it for social acceptance"

Really smacks of smug arrogance...

Anyway, whatever, at least you're finally on team HK, even if you're motivation continues to be ignorant and selfish.

And I'm sorry, but my family and friends are put at risk by people with your attitude.
    TheBrit, Mefisto and Cornmeal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Genuinely curious about your motivation for this part of your post: "I'm only wearing it for social acceptance"

Really smacks of smug arrogance...

Anyway, whatever, at least you're finally on team HK, even if you're motivation continues to be ignorant and selfish.

And I'm sorry, but my family and friends are put at risk by people with your attitude.
    My point was that you only care about keeping your mask clean, or swapping it every day, if you think it's going to have virus particles on the outside of it which might infect you. If you don't, you don't.

If there are virus particles on the inside (because I'm infected) it doesnt matter because I'm the only one breathing them in again.

It's just a recognition that the mask doesn't protect me, only others, so I wear for social reasons. By recognising I'm not protected I'm more careful about other stuff, particularly touching handrails on the bus actually etc, which is probably more important to my safety.

I don't, and have not, put anyone at risk. I wear my mask when in proximity to others and not when I'm not. Nobody is going to catch this thing passing in the street unless you are nose to nose. Even the experts agree on that. I won't be bullied into unscientific crap just because most HK people are sheep. I will, and do, take care with real stuff.
    Last edited by HK_Katherine; 28-03-2020 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I wear my mask when in proximity to others and not when I'm not.
    Are you being wilfully stupid? It's less about direct person to person and more about person to surfaces.

Honestly, how hard can this be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Are you being wilfully stupid? It's less about direct person to person and more about person to surfaces.

Honestly, how hard can this be?
    How many f'ing surfaces are these in the street or a hiking trail FFS?
    DennisMilano likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast