Like Tree365Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast

For those that choose to wear a mask only on public transport and very crowded areas, does that mean you reuse the same mask? How/where do you keep it when you’re not wearing it? In your back pocket? In a Jiffy bag?

There's a recognizable Trumpish non-empathetic bullheadedness and resistance to logic for the 'No Mask' crowd. They've ignored all the charts and arguments presented for wearing a mask including those from the FDA and CDC. They have responded with inane arguments like they don't provide 100% protection.

The only argument I can see, with any validity, is for the public to be wearing masks in places where there is not enough for professionals. That seems to a regional issue easily solved by pre-preparedness and quickly upping production.

It is also unfortunate that WHO and the FDA, while admitting that masks do provide protection for both wearer AND patient (others), they chose to not be honest, blaming the public for not wearing them correctly. Truth being they wanted to maintain supplies for health care workers. Valid reason, fucked-up dishonest messaging.

The CDC has come to its senses, now saying 'WEAR A MASK' - if supplies are short, make one or wear a bandana. Anything is better than nothing.

For the rest of you, party on.

Last edited by TigerSun; 26-03-2020 at 09:01 PM.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    For those that choose to wear a mask only on public transport and very crowded areas, does that mean you reuse the same mask? How/where do you keep it when you’re not wearing it? In your back pocket? In a Jiffy bag?
    I jam it into my pocket. If I have a bag, I might use a Ziploc. It's been pretty much the same mask for six weeks now. I've tried a couple of others, but didn't like them for different reasons- surgical masks are too flimsy and single use, the bulbous 3M ones don't pack down. It's lasted well as I don't go out much.

Early on, I had a big box of fancy 3M N95 ones which I ended up giving away to someone who felt that she needed them.

Though at this stage, I'm on the verge of deciding to dial it to 11 and wear my respirator to make people feel even safer.
    Last edited by jgl; 26-03-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tt2003
    Obnoxious is factual and objective, i dont want to inhale obnoxious white people body fluid, phlegm droplet,. White people dont wear mask dont come to hk, you are not welcomed
    You're not welcome, you disgusting racist.

Is it only "white people" with no mask? Far from it. Actually, literally every single day I go out I witness a middle aged hk male "wearing" a mask which is down under this chin, and he is coughing loudly into the open air spreading germs. Oh but he's "wearing" a mask, right? More like wasting a mask for those who need it, and spreading germs at the same time. Even worse.

Western governments want to ensure that there are adequate supplies of mask for health professionals.

HK'ers treasure life. Hence under false belief that masks will protect them, buy stocks of masks from around the world.....

WHO - When & how to use a mask?
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...w-to-use-masks

• If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
    • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
    • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
    • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

Carrie Lam unsuccessfully tried to convince HK'ers that WHO recommends not to use masks
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...kong-officials

Singapore "Idiot's guide" to coronavirus crisis control
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ontrol-dont-do

Some use a tissue to place on it, fold it and put it away before eating, and dump that tissue afterwards when leaving. Others use a plastic box to place it by making sure not to confuse the sides how it was placed.

In the beginning I saw a few putting it in an envelope but I think that’s too risky with germs when jamming it inside and out. Not really hygienic
    Anyways, I still see people touching the surface of their masks

If you are low on tissue paper, used masks might be an alternative...

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField
    Carrie Lam Warns Officials...

Try to do a little reading before posting your nonsense, instead of posting 6 week old stories of Lam telling staff to not wear masks, you might post a more recent news where she apologizes for doing exactly that...

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...1-20200205.htm
    Last edited by TigerSun; 26-03-2020 at 10:37 PM.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Yes and anywhere I can stuff it. I'm only wearing it for social acceptance so I don't care much about its provenance.

I keep mine's in a plastic lockable sandwich bag (is that a jiffy bag?). I'll keep it in there for 2-3 days and then switch it out for a new one. I think it's better than sticking it in there while eating or walking in the park than pulling it to my chin. A colleague told me that wearing it under your nose or mouth actually increases the chance of infection. That true?

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast