Like Tree481Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast
    jgl

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72
    I think it's better than sticking it in there while eating or walking in the park than pulling it to my chin. A colleague told me that wearing it under your nose or mouth actually increases the chance of infection. That true?
    Think about the physical mechanics of viral transmission, you'd have to start with the assumption that there are particles on the outside surface of the mask. It should be pretty self evident.

A colleague told me that wearing it under your nose or mouth actually increases the chance of infection. That true?
    True, although the virus is not airborn it could stay on surfaces and on your hands. Esp. if you were unfortunate to be in close range of the droplets / aerosol of an infected person.

Last week the cleaning auntie of a public loo prompted me to place all lids down when flushing ( I thought you have to put the upper back up after finished flushing), so I explained but it turns out I can just leave the cubicle. It’s incredible how far hygiene practices could go.....

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Think about the physical mechanics of viral transmission, you'd have to start with the assumption that there are particles on the outside surface of the mask. It should be pretty self evident.
    Isn't that why we're wearing them? To block the particles getting into our mouth and nose? And everyone is always adjusting their masks, so touching the front part. She said when you pull it down you're then breathing in those particles and it's better to remove it completely.

What do you when you need to eat then?

jgl

Isn't that why we're wearing them? To block the particles getting into our mouth and nose? And everyone is always adjusting their masks, so touching the front part. She said when you pull it down you're then breathing in those particles and it's better to remove it completely.
    You start on the assumption that there are viral particles on the outside of the mask. For this assumption to be true, you've done something like walk through a cloud of droplets that someone has recently sneezed/coughed out recently enough not to have fallen to the ground. If you're wearing a surgical mask, you've probably inhaled a load already via the sides of the mask.

But that aside, this now means there's a load of viral particles on the outside of the mask (as well as other parts of you, but again, let's just think about the mask). Then a consideration is how strongly the droplets, or the particles themselves (if the droplets have dried out) adhere to the outside mask layer (I believe polypropylene, could be wrong). If it's a very weak adhesion and wind from breathing in will break adhesion, you'll hoover them up through your nose and mouth. Even if wind won't lift the particles, if you touch the mask surface with your hands in order to move it to your chin (or plastic bag, or whatever), the virus will bond to organic surfaces like skin much more strongly, so you've now got viral particles on your hands.

Again, the assumption here is that you've somehow got viral particles all over the surface of the mask and that somehow these particles have only stayed on the surface of the mask. Both of these are not terribly likely events.

What do you when you need to eat then?
    This is why the strictly correct protocol for handling masks involves tissues, just touching straps, etc.This protocol is all over the internet in HK, everyone should be aware of this already and it should be part of your knowledge regardless of what you think about masks.

There are lots of cute little graphics that explain it, here's a long text version:

https://www.sfcdcp.org/communicable-...e-a-face-mask/
    Last edited by jgl; 27-03-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Just going to add my opinion on whether we should wear masks or not. Firstly, we can all agree that a mask doesn't do f*ck all protection - particles will pass through bla bla.

If you are sick, you would generally wear a mask to prevent spreading. The mask is good at capturing droplets from the spreader. Can we agree on this?

If we do agree on the point above and given that you can contract Coronvirus with 0 symptoms, wouldn't it make sense that we all wear masks to prevent spreading?

So whats the point debating whether we should wear masks or not (for HK). Masks only work in a society where literally everyone is wearing one and that's pretty much 8/10 people in Hong Kong.

So yes, we should all be wearing masks when we go out in public, not for self protection, but for the main purpose of not spreading the virus if we catch it somehow without knowing.

Would I recommend my parents to wear a mask in UK? absolutely not because no one is wearing them in UK.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by banditz
    Just going to add my opinion on whether we should wear masks or not. Firstly, we can all agree that a mask doesn't do f*ck all protection - particles will pass through bla bla.

If you are sick, you would generally wear a mask to prevent spreading. The mask is good at capturing droplets from the spreader. Can we agree on this?

If we do agree on the point above and given that you can contract Coronvirus with 0 symptoms, wouldn't it make sense that we all wear masks to prevent spreading?

So whats the point debating whether we should wear masks or not (for HK). Masks only work in a society where literally everyone is wearing one and that's pretty much 8/10 people in Hong Kong.

So yes, we should all be wearing masks when we go out in public, not for self protection, but for the main purpose of not spreading the virus if we catch it somehow without knowing.

Would I recommend my parents to wear a mask in UK? absolutely not because no one is wearing them in UK.
    2/10.

What did I just waste my time reading?
    TigerSun and gigglinggal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    2/10.

What did I just waste my time reading?
    Thanks Buddy

These days I go out about three times a week, to walk for exercise. I go to an area where most other people are jogging or walking and, like me, not wearing a mask.

I was alone in the lift, going down. It stopped and a woman started automatically getting in, then stopped with a jolt when she saw me. But she came in - it would have been difficult not to. She stood in the opposite corner, with her back to me.

As we approached the ground floor I moved to indicate that I would get out first. She moved just after me and I realised she was anxious to get out as quickly as possible. I got out first and walked briskly away; she lingered, so that there were several feet between us.

Quote Originally Posted by banditz
    Firstly, we can all agree that a mask doesn't do f*ck all protection - particles will pass through bla bla.
    I think we can agree you’re an idiot.
    Mr Chips and gigglinggal like this.

Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast