Like Tree640Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    If he always wore a mask, how did he get it from his passengers?
    Who said he did?

Have you come across a single taxi driver not wearing a mask?

They're hard up as it is, I spoke to one a couple weeks back who said they were making 300-400 a day after car hire now. That's 6K a month. If a driver wasn't wearing a mask as a personal choice, nobody would get into the car with him.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    I'm just gonna say this now... I'm married to a local and most of our friends are locals... people are starting to get pissed off at expats not masking up... I'm seeing a lot more local people muttering loudly at the Gold Coast because it's almost universally white people not masking up...

Maybe trouble if there's another spike and it's linked to gweilos.
    We wear masks on the bus and in the supermarket. Do not wear them at restaurants which is what 80 percent of the Gold Coast shops are. Or while outside walking from supermarket, bus or restaurant.

Protecting others in close proximity is fine. Getting all het up about the need for "universal mask wearing walking around outside" is just f'ing pathetic.

(Unless you are actually sick, by which I mean coughing hard so droplets are being sprayed everywhere). Just breathing even if infected is pretty unlikely to infect others outside given the natural gaps between people.
    Fiona in HKG, Kowloon72 and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    We wear masks on the bus and in the supermarket. Do not wear them at restaurants which is what 80 percent of the Gold Coast shops are. Or while outside walking from supermarket, bus or restaurant.

Protecting others in close proximity is fine. Getting all het up about the need for "universal mask wearing walking around outside" is just f'ing pathetic.

(Unless you are actually sick, by which I mean coughing hard so droplets are being sprayed everywhere). Just breathing even if infected is pretty unlikely to infect others outside given the natural gaps between people.
    There's droplets coming out of your mouth when you're talking. As you walk and talk, you can spray droplets into the faces of passers-by. This is a virus that can be passed on without symptoms, and you don't know if you're sick or not. I don't believe you have the right to squirt your virus-bearing droplets into the faces of passersby

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden:
    There's droplets coming out of your mouth when you're talking. As you walk and talk, you can spray droplets into the faces of passers-by. This is a virus that can be passed on without symptoms, and you don't know if you're sick or not. I don't believe you have the right to squirt your virus-bearing droplets into the faces of passersby
    1m of separation seems to be internationally recognised as being fine. I have no need to walk closer to others than 1m apart in GC, it's not MongKok. (although it feels like it on weekends with all the f'ing day trippers).
    sv336 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    As my facebook is still linked to a number of Sai Kung gossipy groups, I noticed that lately there has been a bit of friction brewing between younger expats ( 40's and younger ) and the old British guard that has lived there for decades who are mostly in their late 50's/60's who still think it's o.k to go to their usual watering holes in SK town, as if nothing has happened! One of them promoted one of the popular bars on MarketPlace and the reaction wasnt pretty.

There was also an altercation between a younger ( 20's) expat with an older Brit, out the front of Star Bucks ( a couple of days ago ) about young bloke attaching cardboard signs that read " Gweilo Are you too poor to buy a face mask ? Apparently it kicked off, which I didnt feel was all that surprising. same old, same old with Sai Kung !

I’m finding parts of this a bit rich - leaving aside the mask wearing and assault issue I can guarantee that ALL restaurants, bars, shops in Sai Kung are significantly busier in weekdays well into the evening. At weekends it is more insane than it would normally be.

I walk into SK town regularly. At least daily, more often than not twice daily. The local bars are not my scene but I know the faces. For every expat that chooses to continue to hit the bars I give you a greater number of locals that hit the restaurants.

The misplaced double standards Xenophobia is more worrying than the mask wearing obsession

Sneezes expel air from the body at speeds of up to 93 mph (150 kilometers per hour), studies have shown. And researchers have found that sneezes may travel much farther than previously thought. High-speed video of a sneeze shows that the mucous spray can travel between five and 200 times farther by traveling as droplets in an invisible gas cloud than they would if they traveled as individual droplets.
    -Livescience.com

@HK_Katherine good luck with that 1m! Also aren't you self isolating after your Asian tour of countries which are now (#theywereallalong) all much worse affected than HK? Has it been 14days already?

Name:  90036950_10163416401295487_2768098807294984192_o.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  134.7 KB

Just show some solidarity with locals, this isn't Europe, UK, USA and now look at the state of those places. Stop providing amunition for the anti-western types here. Low cost of entry to participate (or fake it) and if another foreign cluster occurs, and govenment prompts stricter measures, who the fuck wants the HKPF suddenly enforcing them?

And stop whining about locals eating out, many live in a tiny fraction of the space we have and don't even have a spot for a kettle to boil water to have a shitty cup ramen FFS.
    Last edited by Cornmeal; 21-03-2020 at 06:36 PM. Reason: #staythefuckhome

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

Aren't you hunting out kids to deliberately infect?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden:
    There's droplets coming out of your mouth when you're talking.
    Don't talk. Problem solved.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast