Like Tree481Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Reply
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36
  1. #351

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,148

    I don't know how to start a poll.

    Do we think that in HK, people will continue to wear the masks outside during the rapidly approaching times of oppressive heat and humidity?

    HK_Katherine likes this.

  2. #352

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    Any ’commentary’ by ‘experts’ who conclude that masks do not offer protection AND that they are desperately needed by health care professionals for protection, can be instantly dismissed based on common sense.
    But in updated guidance published on Monday, the organisation maintained that while masks could help limit the spread of the disease, they were insufficient on their own. There was no evidence that wearing a mask in the community prevented healthy people from picking up respiratory infections including Covid-19, it said.
    Prof David Heymann, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who chaired the WHO’s scientific and technical advisory group for infectious hazards, said that unless people were working in healthcare settings, masks are “only for the protection of others, not for the protection of oneself”.
    The committee acknowledged the virus can be transmitted by people who do not have symptoms, but said the virus must still spread via droplets or contaminated surfaces, which physical distancing and handwashing are intended to minimise.


    while masks could help limit the spread of the disease, they were insufficient on their own
    Clearly, from the results you could say the same of handwashing...

    There was no evidence that wearing a mask in the community prevented healthy people from picking up respiratory infections including Covid-19, it said.
    Except the number of unlinked cases in Singapore vs. Hong Kong.

    unless people were working in healthcare settings, masks are “only for the protection of others, not for the protection of oneself”.
    When you enter healthcare settings, it acquires talismanic effect.

    the virus must still spread via droplets or contaminated surfaces
    The man on the street doesn’t care whether masks keep him or others from contaminating surfaces or the air as much as whether they have a protective effect, which collectively they do.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1121911/

    Not for the first time, experts are in thrall to dogma and theory rather than empiricism. Interested amateurs are clearly proving better at identifying emerging threats than hidebound traditionalists defending their authority and clinging to old ideas and mistaken pronouncements.
    TigerSun and TheBrit like this.

  3. #353

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The WHO needs root and branch reform after this is done, what a bunch of absolute tossers they have been from start to finish.
    It's like watching a tennis match

    Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0
    Not for the first time, experts are in thrall to dogma and theory rather than empiricism. Interested amateurs are clearly proving better at identifying emerging threats than hidebound traditionalists defending their authority and clinging to old ideas and mistaken pronouncements.
    Interested amateurs are also clearly better at assessing vaccine risks than people with actual PHDs
    HK_Katherine likes this.

  4. #354

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,684
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0
    “while masks could help limit the spread of the disease, they were insufficient on their own”


    Clearly, from the results you could say the same of handwashing.
    Right. I don’t know of anyone who promoted the use of a masks at the exclusion of other measures. More insanity from you know WHO.
    TheBrit likes this.

  5. #355

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19,633
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    Right. I don’t know of anyone who promoted the use of a masks at the exclusion of other measures. More insanity from you know WHO.
    Yes, a pathetic strawman argument.

  6. #356

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    It's like watching a tennis match



    Interested amateurs are also clearly better at assessing vaccine risks than people with actual PHDs
    Don’t think I claimed that part, only being blinded by theory. I defer to experts in most things, but maybe not being blinded by faith in authority is a good thing? You of all people I would have thought might agree.

    Plus side note, many vaccines were self-tested by their innovators, which is also looked upon poorly by some in the scientific community.

  7. #357

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    17,386

    HKU study should end the discussion.

    Wear masks as it stops you spreading the desease.

    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

    TigerSun likes this.

  8. #358

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Walk around HK for a while if you want to see complacency.
    So this is, in your mind, evidence that masks cause complacency? What a strange conclusion.

    Almost everyone is wearing a mask in HK. Everyone also has 2 eyes, one nose, and almost everyone has black hair, too. How do you know it's not these factors that cause complacency in your brilliant hypothesis that correlation = causation?

Reply
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36