Like Tree52Likes

Covid-19: 03/24 (Tue) - Hong Kong News

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Covid-19: 03/24 (Tue) - Hong Kong News

https://twitter.com/iainmarlow/statu...377727488?s=20

I had assumed from the photos of planes full of chinese people in full hazmat gear, that the returnees were mostly locals, and therefore the recent explosion of cases also largely local. This tries its best to imply it's mostly due to expats.

The early outbreak, too, may have given the initial impression that expats would remain unscathed. The virus originally spread in Hong Kong among people returning from China or through people with direct ties to Wuhan or other Mainland Chinese cities.

Now, though, Westerners are increasingly seen as carriers, and local newspapers have begun to take aim at expats. One paper, Apple Daily, focused a front page story on the unmasked residents of Discovery Bay under the headline, “Westerners walking around without masks.” Ta Kung Pao, a pro-Beijing newspaper, ran pictures of bar-hoppers sans masks.
    Many foreign residents who stayed, working from home with young children in small Hong Kong apartments, standing in line for toilet paper and other supplies, have little sympathy. On Facebook, they’ve been raging against those who are now coming home and refusing to self-isolate.

“If you were afraid to stay in HK when shit got real, and you ran away to your expat enclave - you can now hole up in your pint-sized apartment for the next two weeks and eat Pizza Hut delivery,” one resident wrote in a local Facebook group. “Welcome back. Now, suck it up.”
    Are expats the ones refusing to self-isolate? Are they the 5 that are missing from quarantine, or among those fined?
    shri, Mrs. Jones and timonoj like this.

timonoj likes this.

From yesterday's press release.

As at noon today (March 23), public hospitals had reported to the Department of Health the admission of 213 patients (108 male and 105 female, aged 10 months to 82) in the past 24 hours who met the reporting criteria of COVID-19. Appropriate tests have been arranged for the patients.
    https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...htm?fontSize=1
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    so 213 new cases today?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    so 213 new cases today?
    Not sure about that. These are "suspected" as in have symptoms / preliminary tests at Asia World etc?

Lets see ...

wow just wow...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

Here in Tai Po, in a local shopping mall, some "entrepreneurs" are putting out stalls of God knows what on a daily basis - and people, especially the elderly and middle aged ones are crowding all over the damn stalls. I don't know why and how people can let their guard down so easily (and perhaps, too early?).

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Here in Tai Po, in a local shopping mall, some "entrepreneurs" are putting out stalls of God knows what on a daily basis - and people, especially the elderly and middle aged ones are crowding all over the damn stalls. I don't know why and how people can let their guard down so easily (and perhaps, too early?).
    What are they selling? Masks? Hand sanitizers?

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    May be selling officially advertised products?

https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/statu...96334574473216

Cause I know whenever I need my lungs cleansing and detoxifying the first place I go is a stall in Tai Po. Everyone knows it's the best place to go.

MABinPengChau and spode like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast