You are viewing a global thread. Be aware you may no longer be in the forum category you were browsing.
Like Tree182Likes

Covid-19: March Week 4 Discussions

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    You never commented your thoughts on the 15 millions cancelled mobile phone contracts in China in the previous 2 months. Just bear with us...what do you think might have caused this drop between Jan and Feb?
    https://www.digianalysys.com/coronav...es-by-19-6-mn/

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    You never commented your thoughts on the 15 millions cancelled mobile phone contracts in China in the previous 2 months. Just bear with us...what do you think might have caused this drop between Jan and Feb?
    https://www.digianalysys.com/coronav...es-by-19-6-mn/
    Clean up of inactive SIM's? Are you seriously suggesting 15 million people died and their relatives cancelled their mobile phone contracts and the CCP covered it up? Come on.
    shri, spode, TigerSun and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...6-20200324.htm

Hkcc, football club and I have heard Clearwater Bay golf club are shutdown or partially closed
    Makes sense for the closure of private clubs. Early on in the outbreak, the elites and well-connected rich folks who go to these clubs had the belief that since they are above the "masses", their chance of catching the infection would lessen. Well, they apparently didn't factor in their fellow members' irresponsible jet-setting behaviour. Flying on luxury tours around the world and bringing back the infection to this city. So these rich folks have now become the high risk group due to their globe-trotting adventures. And by extension, the places they frequently go to is now a high risk zone, like private clubs.
    gigglinggal likes this.

So... clubs are now the recreational equivalent of international schools... noted.

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Clean up of inactive SIM's? Are you seriously suggesting 15 million people died and their relatives cancelled their mobile phone contracts and the CCP covered it up? Come on.
    From what I read, those were active contracts. You can suggest secondary work phones etc, but not just inactive lines. Why would they do that SIM cleanup on those months? They admitted that drop was unprecedented and the first time China Mobile lost so many contracts. I'm not saying it's all deaths. But I'd like to hear a meaningful explanation too.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    So... clubs are now the recreational equivalent of international schools... noted.
    Well, there were that small cluster of cases at the Jockey Club, so yup.

Of all the things I worry about in the world, China Mobile SIM subscriber numbers are not one of them... especially when there are numerous plausible, completely benign explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    From what I read, those were active contracts. You can suggest secondary work phones etc, but not just inactive lines. Why would they do that SIM cleanup on those months? They admitted that drop was unprecedented and the first time China Mobile lost so many contracts. I'm not saying it's all deaths. But I'd like to hear a meaningful explanation too.
    Could be ... just could be that people are under financial pressure. Also, if they've left the cities where they work and moved back to their home towns, there could be some churn.

There will be more meaningful disclosure in the quarterly shareholders reports.

Multiple sim cards also very common in China. Perhaps with the current situation many decided to cancel one or more of their many sims as they don't require them for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Makes sense for the closure of private clubs. Early on in the outbreak, the elites and well-connected rich folks who go to these clubs had the belief that since they are above the "masses", their chance of catching the infection would lessen. Well, they apparently didn't factor in their fellow members' irresponsible jet-setting behaviour. Flying on luxury tours around the world and bringing back the infection to this city. So these rich folks have now become the high risk group due to their globe-trotting adventures. And by extension, the places they frequently go to is now a high risk zone, like private clubs.
    The clubs aren't closed, but the sports facilities are. Because there is no difference between Pure Fitness and the Jockey Club's gym. This is a logical policy consistent with closure of LCSD sports facilities as well. Not sure there's any reason to read into it about how rich people thought they were immune...maybe you could say sports people have been acting like they immune based on cases in the past few weeks.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast