Like Tree271Likes

Covid-19: March Week 4 Discussions

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    I don't think two weeks is long enough. India is three weeks, We are on a month (I am not allowed out for any reason at any time, except to go to hospital or in a coffin).
    Surely it's context specific. HK has less than 400 cases in a city of 7m, and 2/3 of those have come due to people who were in Europe or North America coming back and bringing it with them. Philippines is a very different situation and so requires a different level of intervention.

Two weeks of WFH and hyper-vigilance after CNY was good enough for Hong Kong in February. And having been at the airport on the last day of CNY holiday, it was jam packed with travelers and I was certain we were about to tip into disaster. We didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Surely it's context specific. HK has less than 400 cases in a city of 7m, and 2/3 of those have come due to people who were in Europe or North America coming back and bringing it with them. Philippines is a very different situation and so requires a different level of intervention.

Two weeks of WFH and hyper-vigilance after CNY was good enough for Hong Kong in February. And having been at the airport on the last day of CNY holiday, it was jam packed with travelers and I was certain we were about to tip into disaster. We didn't.
    The Philippines has 660 cases and 35 deaths in a population of 109 million so per capita in a better position as far as that goes. Much worse situation in terms of healthcare though.

I would be very seriously concerned about mental health issues among grassroots people here is we did go into full-scale lockdown ... how would it look for all those in cage beds (nowhere to go except the pathetic "wet" bathroom you share with 30+ others), no room to store provisions even if you did have the money to buy in bulk ...although at least there's usually at least one window in a room of cages! For me I think a coffin room or windowless subdivided flat would drive me to breaking point: I'm not claustrophobic as such, but natural light is way near the top of my necessary-for-sanity list.

It would be unfair, of course, to stigmatise the people of China as a whole for China’s wet markets. It would also be unfair to denounce Chinese culture as a whole on account of the wildlife trade. This is not, however, what Lung and Yuen are doing.
    It is not only fair, but indeed necessary, to stigmatise the wildlife trade and wet markets in China that have now produced two major illnesses (SARS and COVID-19) that have killed tens of thousands around the world.
    It is not only fair, but indeed necessary, to stigmatise unscientific practices in Traditional Chinese Medicine that encourage the consumption of civet cats to nourish your qi or pangolin scales to treat male impotence. These are not, we must note, the beginning and the end of Chinese culinary or medicinal culture, but they are indeed components of these cultures that need to be confronted for the sake of global health.
    It is not only fair, but also necessary, to stigmatise the political culture that has enabled the perpetuation of this wildlife trade despite obvious evidence of the risks involved. The CCP exercises extensive monitoring and control over so many aspects of life in China today, to the point that it can imprison civilians for random comments in private chats. Yet despite this power and control, the CCP has proactively chosen not to act against the wildlife trade for nearly two decades after SARS, facilitating the emergence of Covid-19.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/03/2...e-free-speech/

hullexile, kimwy66, Gatts and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Btw, the full phrase is "Don’t wrestle with pigs. You both get filthy and the pig likes it."
    And after a while nobody can tell which one of you is the pig.

Another politician case and a twat at that.

So one Philippine Senator had tested positive and others went into self quarantine including Senator Pimental. He started feeling ill and was tested. While waiting for the result he thought it would be a great idea to accompany his wife to hospital where she was due to give birth. While there his result came through positive and now they have had to quarantine the medical staff who had contact with him. Still it is not like the hospital has anything better to do at the moment.

FFS US, G7 and China still acting like fucking little kids over naming the china/wuhan virus, demonstrates to the public they are hapless, their priorities are so easily distracted from important issues

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...9-20200326.htm

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms

To put things in perspective, my home island of Guernsey has 30 cases for a population of 65,000 and these have only just come to light these past few days. Island is currently on a 14 day lock down.

Wumaos out in force in comments sections now on articles like this, fueled by the pathetic response of Europe and in particular the US on the "free speech" aspect of the prevention argument.

Meanwhile China continues to use the crisis to leverage, threaten, and "negotiate" with other countries now that many are in desperate situations.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...auzwzq1464H7pQ
    Gatts and Mefisto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    The Philippines has 660 cases and 35 deaths in a population of 109 million so per capita in a better position as far as that goes. Much worse situation in terms of healthcare though.
    Healthcare is one thing, but it's also the nature of the cases. In Philippines it seems there is significant community spread, whereas in Hong Kong there are a few identified local clusters but the majority of new cases in the past week were imported. And those imports were due to a rush of HK residents returning to beat quarantine deadlines here and lockdown deadlines in the countries they departed.

I think HK needs to be vigilant for the next few weeks but as yet we still haven't seen uncontrolled community outbreaks so I believe it can be managed. However it is unrealistic to expect that as long as this epidemic continues throughout the world, there will be no new cases in HK without a full shutdown of all borders.
    TheBrit likes this.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast