View Poll Results: Will there be a lock-down in HK?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • No!

11 25.00%
  • Yes, but not as strict as the UK (aka, with HK characteristics)

25 56.82%
  • Yes. It has to happen.

8 18.18%
Like Tree100Likes

Will there be a UK style lock-down in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    It was a joke. As in, the ma wan network, a social media page for ma wan, is filled with the type of people I alluded to in my previous post. As are many FB groups tbf.

Each individual's experience of the world is of course going to be different and subjective. Your idea of strange will be someone else's normal, and vice versa. I personally am amazed at the explosion of ideological purity over the UK lockdown, people willingly handing over their civil liberties to a government who, at the very least, has some very dangerous advisors. I think part of it is that people who once saw cancel culture as the preserve of young liberals, now have the chance to participate in it themselves. And there is no zealot like a convert. Mental some of the shit I see on whatsapp of "social distance shaming".
    You worry me.

An individual's liberty stops where an another individuals liberty begins. Trade offs are made on a daily basis depending on points of views. The rights of people to smoke have been severely curbed in favor of the people's right to breathe clean air. Apparently, it is against civil liberties to take people's temperature in parts of Europe so they are getting on planes with fevers. I am not overly concerned about people surrendering some liberties in democratic societies. Of course, it is different in an autocratic place like Hong Kong since you may never get it back and there are no proper mechanism for people to voice their concerns hence the problems that HK have and will continue to face.

When people have nothing but blame towards foreigners importing the virus and spreading it by not wearing masks, a lock down is inevitable. No alcohol will not effect the locals as much since I haven't really seen many locals drinking decent amounts of it. I will admit that I do not know if they drink large amounts at home in front of their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    When people have nothing but blame towards foreigners importing the virus and spreading it by not wearing masks, a lock down is inevitable. No alcohol will not effect the locals as much since I haven't really seen many locals drinking decent amounts of it. I will admit that I do not know if they drink large amounts at home in front of their parents.
    Uh, what? You just don't go out to the right (or wrong) places.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I don't know man... I would guess if you don't hang out with many locals and you frequent bars, you might feel you know many locals who drink... most locals I know, and most of our pals are locals, rarely drink, if ever...

Also, whenever I see the bars in Wanchai or GC, I would say the ratio of western to Asian is around 10:1... compare that to the population demographic of HK.

Some HK people drink and drink to excess, sure, but it's a minority... it's a social norm. in the Anglosphere in particular...

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Quite possibly. I tend to agree with the OP. Although it is probably an over generalization - Chinese don't drink as commonly as Westerners. Go to a traditional Chinese style restaurant (dim sum places, large dining room style places, smaller local cafes) and it is rare to see Chinese drinking Alcohol with their meals and often it is not even on the menu.

I am sure there are more local bars, drinking dens etc for locals but like the original poster I probably don;t go the the right (or wrong) places.

The lockdown, or MCO, as it's called here in Penang is proving very effective. Like a ghost town, but the peace and quiet from the noisy bikes is bliss!

Motorcycle police are patrolling the streets, and there are many roadblocks. If you don't have a very good reason for being out you are ordered home.

To be taken seriously! Hamid said that about 110 people had been arrested so far for flouting the MCO."

Last edited by Cwbguy; 26-03-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    Greghouse likes this.

Oops, wrong thread, sorry about that...

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 26-03-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    The lockdown, or MCO, as it's called here in Penang is proving very effective. Like a ghost town, but the peace and quiet from the noisy bikes is bliss!

Motorcycle police are patrolling the streets, and there are many roadblocks. If you don't have a very good reason for being out you are ordered home.
    I asked my wife what it is like in the outside world and she said you can drive as fast as you like there is no traffic!
    Cwbguy, Mr Chips, Skyhook and 2 others like this.

No chance of a total lock down in HK, the govt couldnt even decide to lock down the borders until it was too late, they will not lock HK down due to pressures from big business.

HK govt has over US400 Billion cash reserves but wont use it to shut down HK and help the needy. HK Style is let the strong survive and let the weak die.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast