Like Tree74Likes

Keep Your Rent

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    If you can't afford food, the government should pay for it. Same with rent. Do you want to live in a world where we just stop paying for things because we decide we deserve the money more than forever is supplying those things? Some people put money aside for rainy days so they won't have to live on the street if they miss a pay check, some people spend it all on Netflix and weed. If you read the article you will see that it's about people not wanting to pay rent, not about not being able to.
    If they can't pay rent after one month unemployment how are they planning to pay two months next month, or three months after that? Payment is only deferred after all. Or are they planning on living in the place for free forever?
    Your exact words were "What's next, don't have money for food just don't pay for it?". Nothing about not wanting to pay but being able.

But then you would probably laugh at them as their kids starved given you find other people's death and suffering ROFL funny.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Your exact words were "What's next, don't have money for food just don't pay for it?". Nothing about not wanting to pay but being able.

But then you would probably laugh at them as their kids starved given you find other people's death and suffering ROFL funny.
    You obviously didn't read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You obviously didn't read the article.
    I read your words.

property owners (landlords) are not gods, they only running a business, if the Government shuts down your office or shop, it is not equitable for landlords to collect rent on those premises.

RupertBrooke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    How about this....

In times of crisis - give the money, make the laws so that the benefit the most amount of people with the least amount of roadblocks and sort through the edge cases later.

- Universal moratoriums on payments v/s fax six forms in and receive an approval for suspension of payments in 30-60 days.

Sure, there are some dicks... but I would like to think they're in the minority but because of the dickishness - they've been given their 15 mins of fame. Both landlords and tenants can be dicks. I think these are edge cases as opposed to everyone.

However, I do think that in many cases there is a quiet and deserving group of people who will benefit.

From a US perspective... I'd love to see what happens to these guys who figured they can just stop paying rent. Not sure if there is any law that supports this...
    From a Canadian perspective, perfectly acceptable. And this guy is a Conservative, our very own Trump.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/03/...ant-afford-it/
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    And the last time the world went into shutdown was.... oh never. I think this is a unique situation not just another crisis. Have you still got an income?
    2008, barely 10 years ago. Granted the events outside the street is not entirely the same, but the food stamp got extended and extended and extended for years after years. So what it got us, the current state today... much bigger wealth gap, much more people (especially in the USA) living paycheck to paycheck..

Its no longer capitalism.. every single bailout is about money being transferred from the middle income conservative savers, to, (a) a little portion for the poor and really struggling, and (b) a much larger proportion to the rich and getting wealthier...

We have seen how bad it got for HK in the last 12 years... Let's see in 3 years how bad will be the wealth gap in the US of A..
    HK_Katherine likes this.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, we live in a consumer society with many people refusing to be fiscally responsible, maxing out their credit cards and living either at the limit or above their means, taking trips, buying new cars, electronics etc... In essence, you are telling them to continue with their ways because the government will bail them out from their lack of impulse control and foresight. My parents and grand parents lived through wars and depression, they have known hardship far worse than we are experiencing now and hammered the importance of saving for rainy days and it eventually penetrated my thick skull.

On the other hand, it is a difficult situation that many of us have never experienced and some people are in difficult situations because of circumstances out of their control, it's important to have compassion in times like these. I don't really like the precedent that it sets though. One month shouldn't be a big deal for any responsible landlord but if this extends longer then what? Imagine retired or live in landlords that have paid their properties and using them as income. Not every landlord is rich and not every tenant is an irresponsible slacker that spends too much. It's a tough one...

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    2008, barely 10 years ago. Granted the events outside the street is not entirely the same, but the food stamp got extended and extended and extended for years after years. So what it got us, the current state today... much bigger wealth gap, much more people (especially in the USA) living paycheck to paycheck..

Its no longer capitalism.. every single bailout is about money being transferred from the middle income conservative savers, to, (a) a little portion for the poor and really struggling, and (b) a much larger proportion to the rich and getting wealthier...

We have seen how bad it got for HK in the last 12 years... Let's see in 3 years how bad will be the wealth gap in the US of A..
    Sorry did I sleep through the shutdown in 2008? One third of the world's population locked down at home to various degrees, almost all air travel stopped, most retail closed down, much of the production and construction, no sports, no religious gatherings - did I miss all of that? 3 million Americans signing on unemployed in one week?
    TaD_LaLa and juanalias like this.

I have one elderly retired tenant in a condo for whom the rent is already below market rates, so unless she asks for forbearance, I am going to assume I am getting April's rent, have not heard anything from that property manager.
    The tenant in my house, I don't even know if it's a man or woman or family...I am guessing that tenant will communicate with that property manager. In the past, I had a tenant whose hours got cut back and I let her out of the lease (just paid the last month's rent and left, no penalty on my part, although I was entitled to...). I have also let tenants hold over for a couple of months (were buying a house) or leave early with good advance notice. No charge other than normal rent at the same rates. If the current tenant wants to leave, I will let him/her/them, same deal. If he/she wants to stay, I am willing to forgive a few months or so of rent, depends how bad it gets.
    As I have family members in need (yeah, most of my family), a family member could live there if it will be rent free very long term. As it is, my niece lost her job right before it all hit the fan so I am paying her condo fees (my condo, she lives there for free, just has to pay the condo fee), her car payment, and her car insurance payment so she can get by. My brother's work has dropped off, he will likely need my help paying utilities and food (he lives rent free in a house I own). The other brother has a wife dying of cancer and he could live in my currently-rented house for free after she passes (she is the breadwinner, he is a stay-at-home dad). So while I am sorry for my tenant's troubles, I have more than my fair share dealing with family troubles and, if housing is going to be free, it will be to family members first.

I am sure there will be landlords that get the mortgage relief from the government but don't pass on that generosity to their tenants.

It's not what should have been done in the first place....

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast