Like Tree64Likes

Covid-19: 04/08 (Wed) Global News

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Jack Dorsey gives away 28% of his wealth in Square shares to a charitable foundation initially to fund COVID19 relief / research

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1247...769086465?s=20

Cornmeal likes this.

Can I post this here?
    I Dreamed a Dream... Corona version

Baklava, Coolboy and BCD like this.

144 new cases in Tokyo today (17:16, Apr 8th), total 1,339 (Source: NHK app, )

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Say this very quietly while knocking on wood but the Philippines may have turned the corner. It is 3 weeks since lockdown so the pre-lockdown cases should all be evident now and the deaths and recoveries working through.

Today: 104 cases, 5 deaths, 14 recovered. (Allowing for population difference that would be in HK terms 7 cases, 0.3 deaths and 1 recovery).

The graphs below show a slowing down despite a significant ramp up in testing.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...y/philippines/
    Yeah lockdown reduces death. That's a fact. Question is, what then?

Seems like the current situation is a choice between lockdown or increased deaths. So are we gonna be indefinitely locked in our houses? From what I read a vaccine is very unlikely.

Nature has told us pesky humans to abandon our growth economy and mass destruction of the planet, stay home and shut up. But at least we invented Netflix first.
    Kowloon72 and JAherbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Yeah lockdown reduces death. That's a fact. Question is, what then?

Seems like the current situation is a choice between lockdown or increased deaths. So are we gonna be indefinitely locked in our houses? From what I read a vaccine is very unlikely.

Nature has told us pesky humans to abandon our growth economy and mass destruction of the planet, stay home and shut up. But at least we invented Netflix first.
    Transition I think. Open up some manufacturing and construction and some public transport. See if it holds while continuing extensive testing. Then retail. Schools are due to open in June, could easily delay the school year start by a month or two. Then entertainment. So measured relaxation with constant testing. Borders last unless the rest of the world has reduced the infection rates.

That is just my view and of course assumes the Philippines really has turned the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Transition I think. Open up some manufacturing and construction and some public transport. See if it holds while continuing extensive testing. Then retail. Schools are due to open in June, could easily delay the school year start by a month or two. Then entertainment. So measured relaxation with constant testing. Borders last unless the rest of the world has reduced the infection rates.

That is just my view and of course assumes the Philippines really has turned the corner.
    Yeah the issue is, if it started from a few cases, it could presumably restart from a few cases. Unless it really is true that a lot have already developed immunity as some are claiming.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Yeah the issue is, if it started from a few cases, it could presumably restart from a few cases. Unless it really is true that a lot have already developed immunity as some are claiming.
    Yes it is going to be difficult but I think lessons have been learned. I don't think it will be eradicated but countries could cope with controlled outbreaks. I think countries who do not have it under some degree of control are going to be blacklisted for travel. That of course is an incentive to not test and/or to lie.

Without a vaccine the only other option is to let it rip through the population.

Hong Kong uses the same style bus as used UK, but sadly 14 bus drivers in UK have died so far, nobody following what we are doing here? the biggest issue for bus transport must be all the windows are sealed, bring back the hot dog?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-52212143

hullexile likes this.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0713-1

Tests from October in Wuhan show signs of Covid-19 community transmission. It took 3 months until this became public knowledge