Like Tree136Likes

Covid-19: April 3rd Week - Discussions / Opinions

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

https://amp.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/3080095/how-singapore-can-draw-right-lessons-coronavirus-crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Not disagreeing with your other points, but I think its best to be clear about virus causing cancer. There is no evidence right now that says the coronavirus cause cancer. Many other viruses infect human cells like the coronavirus yet they do not cause cancer. Its simply too early to know. As for the Epstein bar virus, there is potential for it to cause cancer in some cases, but most who have gotten it do not develop cancer. Its a risk yes, but certainly not a very high risk. Epstein bar infected 90% of US adults and the vast majority of them do not develop cancer from it. So you need to be careful about saying anyone who has Epstein bar will develop cancer. That is simply not true.
    Ebv I am sorry: if your Chinese cancer risk. : for westerners yeah not so I'm lucky . Basically all local npc are ebv positive . In fact the screen test for npc cancer is testing for the virus as a proxy
    As for corona causing cancer I should have been clear I was being. Facetious : my point was we don't know the long term effect of this virus : don't let it run rampant and talk herd immunity nonsense till we know for sure it doesn't act. As a carcinogen or any other nasty : dementia possible immune disease spring to mind as does pulmonary fibrosis : not so long ago we didn't know the plain old wart virus causes cervical cancer :now we may be on the way to eliminate cervix maybe penile cancer and reduce head and neck cancer with a wart virus vaccine . So don't let it in like they do in Sweden and assumed all the young Swede survivor are going to be just Jim dandy in years to come : this corona is vicious nothing would surprise me long term
    By the way inter ethnic different aren't much discussed yet : npc and hepatitis b are very difficult for Asians to clear especial southern Chinese : Caucasian usually OK with these two example : it's going to interest to look at ethnicity and survival :
    Last edited by hongkong7; 16-04-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    Ebv I am sorry: if your Chinese it's a big risk : for westerners not so : all local npc are ebv positive . In fact the screen test for npc cancer is testing for the virus as a proxy
    As for corona causing cancer I should have been clear I was being. Facetious : my point was we don't know the long term effect of this virus : don't let it run rampant in herd immunity nonsense till we know for sure it doesn't act. As a carcinogen or any other nasty :
    By the way inter ethnic different aren't much discussed yet : npc and hepatitis b are very difficult for Asians to clear especial southern Chinese : Caucasian usually OK with these two example : it's going to interest to look at ethnicity and survival :
    I don't know where you got the idea that Chinese is at high risk with epstein barr, unless you have a credible source, infectious mono is common in HK too I mean.

With hepatitis b, yes it was common in local Cantonese population, that was why liver cancer was a common cancer in this city. But today there are fewer cases.

As for coronavirus, yes, it's best not to make any association with cancer if we don't know right?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Ebv I am sorry: if your Chinese it's a big risk : for westerners not so : all local npc are ebv positive . In fact the screen test for npc cancer is testing for the virus as a proxy
    As for corona causing cancer I should have been clear I was being. Facetious : my point was we don't know the long term effect of this virus : don't let it run rampant in herd immunity nonsense till we know for sure it doesn't act. As a carcinogen or any other nasty :
    https://www.gponline.com/three-gps-k...rticle/1680188

the first 10 doctors in the UK to die from the virus were BAME.
    This seems to have been a topic getting greater attention in the UK, and to a lesser extent, in the US, recently. Not sure if other factors are involved, or whether it’s linked to the increasing discrimination in China lately.

I don't know where you got the idea that Chinese is at high risk with epstein barr, unless you have a credible source, infectious mono is common in HK too I mean.

With hepatitis b, yes it was common in local Cantonese population, that was why liver cancer was a common cancer in this city. But today there are fewer cases.

As for coronavirus, yes, it's best not to make any association with cancer if we don't know right?
    Name:  Screenshot_20200416-140138.png
Views: 390
Size:  320.6 KB

The liver cancer reduction is due to screen for Hep b carriage : and universal vaccination : hospital clinics are full of hep b carrier undergoing cancer treatment : we are world leaders in this field
    Top free tip if your southern Chinese add ebv serology or dna to your next check up : if it's posit get it's scoped : it's amazingly common in the young
    Last edited by hongkong7; 16-04-2020 at 02:10 PM.
    Coolboy likes this.

The liver cancer reduction is due to screen for Hep b carriage : and universal vaccination : hospital clinics are full of hep b carrier undergoing cancer treatment : we are world leaders in this field
    Top free tip if your southern Chinese add ebv serology or dna to your next check up : if it's posit get it's scoped : it's amazingly common in the young
    It is risk, that is not in dispute, but it did not say the risk is partiuclarly high among Chinese population or whether the risk is generalized to anyone who has NPC. That's the issue.

It is risk, that is not in dispute, but it did not say the risk is partiuclarly high among Chinese population or whether the risk is generalized to anyone who has NPC. That's the issue.
    Look mate : every single doctor in the world knows it's a Chinese disease largely : to be more specifics it is due to salt fish consumption and local prevalence of snp polymorphism with the viral promoter : just google it : revalence of npc in southern. Chinese :I would bet every local Chinese who gets a nosebleed will be straight to their doctor the first thing they will worry about is have they got npc :

Quote Originally Posted by sv336:
    Do you even know what you're posting? I got no idea. Some random bunch of guys at some State Capitol - I assume? How is that relevant? Shows you've got no clue what's happening in the US. God bless. EDIT: Whitmer - that's MI. They aren't happy they can't travel to their cabins up-north, Ok
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ranny-11973905
    HK_Katherine and timonoj like this.

One thing I very much agree with is the irresponsibility of letting a new disease with many unknowns run rampant in communities in the name of a concept like herd immunity which isn't even guaranteed to work. That's not even taking into account the fact that it can and has overwhelmed health systems and caused deaths among workers trying to save lives while politicians hide in ivory towers knowing that if they get sick, they will have the best treatment money can buy while the poor and old are dying. It's running science experiments on human beings and human lives without knowing the outcome. I hope that in democracies, the electorate will be reminded of the ones that played fast and loose with ethics and lives.

hullexile, eIIe and SZ1 like this.

[QUOTE=Aramis;3715032]One thing I very much agree with is the irresponsibility of letting a new disease with many unknowns run rampant in communities in the name of a concept like herd immunity which isn't even guaranteed to work. That's not even taking into account the fact that it can and has overwhelmed health systems and caused deaths among workers trying to save lives while politicians hide in ivory towers knowing that if they get sick, they will have the best treatment money can buy while the poor and old are dying. It's running science experiments on human beings and human lives without knowing the outcome. I hope that in democracies, the electorate will be reminded of the ones that played fast and loose with ethics and lives.[/QUOTE
    Almost every single front line medical worker will agree with you on this one :
    it's people that don't see illness' suffering and death day in day out that are happy with herd immunity and culling of the weak
    Kinda like in Vietnam war it's only the fortunate sons who don't have to fight it that think widespread death and destruction is a great idea

TheBrit and AsianXpat0 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast