Like Tree120Likes

Covid-19: 04/17 Weekend - Global News

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Woohooo! Schools in Western Australia to resume normal classes for all students on April 28th, one day later than normal after the easter holidays. They shut a few weeks earlier than scheduled and did some online learning, were planning to ramp it up this term, but today they just said f*ck the online learning, our kids needs face to face experience, given the low number of new cases in Australia the past few weeks, we have to come out of lockdown sooner or later and schools would be the first and most logical place to start, right NOW. All restaurants, still closed for at least the next month, and shopping malls are ghost towns with everything shut except for supermarkets.

So my kids missed a total of 2 weeks of actual physical classes. In Hong Kong seems to be the opposite, they allow restaurants to open but close the schools indefinitely now. Australia have taken a massive economic hit, overnight millions of people unemployed in hospitality, retail, etc. But the schools they have kept open.
    I REALLY hope it works out well, i.e. no surge in cases related or otherwise to the schools. It sets a precedent for the rest of the world so those of us with kids at school will be watching closely with fingers and everything else crossed.
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Wuhan death toll numbers adjusted....

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1250992343928340480
    But @civil_servant assured us China's numbers were absolutely correct and to be trusted etc., I am utterly shocked!
    Greghouse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    But @civil_servant assured us China's numbers were absolutely correct and to be trusted etc., I am utterly shocked!
    Absolutely correct is you mouthstuffing. This is what I said.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/342/threa...ml#post3710311

Numbers are now being adjusted, just like death figures of deaths in Europe will be adjusted over time. It's a natural process.

In my opinion, the reopening of schools in western countries has little to do with risks and more to do with pragmatism. It's hard for parents to return to work without child care in place. The reality remains that in primary schools particularly, if a kid gets sick, it's likely to spread like wildfire and then to the parents. There's also the issue of kids with asthma and other ailments which are not uncommon. HK is in a different situation because of the preponderance of DH that can look after kids and there might also be more multi generational living situation. I don't think anyone will disagree though that online learning is far from ideal, more so the younger they are.

I don't necessarily disagree with the decision in Australia as their numbers are low and I'm happy to see that it looks like kids in HK will have their exams. Time will tell if the decision pans out and there's a bit of luck involved too. It's always easy to praise or criticize after the facts but there's no playbook for this situation and gambles need to be taken. The question is which ones and when...

Baklava, hongkong7 and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    In my opinion, the reopening of schools in western countries has little to do with risks and more to do with pragmatism. It's hard for parents to return to work without child care in place. The reality remains that in primary schools particularly, if a kid gets sick, it's likely to spread like wildfire and then to the parents. There's also the issue of kids with asthma and other ailments which are not uncommon. HK is in a different situation because of the preponderance of DH that can look after kids and there might also be more multi generational living situation. I don't think anyone will disagree though that online learning is far from ideal, more so the younger they are.

I don't necessarily disagree with the decision in Australia as their numbers are low and I'm happy to see that it looks like kids in HK will have their exams. Time will tell if the decision pans out and there's a bit of luck involved too. It's always easy to praise or criticize after the facts but there's no playbook for this situation and gambles need to be taken. The question is which ones and when...
    IMO schools should only be open when numbers are low, not in Europe or North America for example.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    IMO schools should only be open when numbers are low, not in Europe or North America for example.
    I agree with the importance of having low numbers and it does seem premature in most areas but you can't throw in all of Europe and North America in one basket. There are significant differences between countries, provinces and states and it might be appropriate for some but not for others.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I agree with the importance of having low numbers and it does seem premature in most areas but you can't throw in all of Europe and North America in one basket. There are significant differences between countries, provinces and states and it might be appropriate for some but not for others.
    I am struggling to think of one though

Long read about the biggest outbreak in the US.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52311877

AsianXpat0 and ThatOneGuy like this.

Gatts, eIIe, Mefisto and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I am struggling to think of one though
    The baltic states look pretty good in Europe. Unpopulated states like Montana and Wyoming have limited community transmission in the US but as a whole, there's no doubt that it appears premature and most have extended measures at least to the end of the month. I'm sure many will keep an eye out on Australia to see how it goes. I'm told that HK will keep the measures going for at least another week too.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast