Like Tree343Likes

April 20-27 - HK News & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

April 20-27 - HK News & Discussions

Want to try something new and see if it works out this week. An all in one thread about HK news and people's opinions.

As it seems, Covid-19 seems to be under control - no clue if the new local infection over the weekend will create a new cluster or not. Let's hope it does not.

From RTHK

The patient's daily work is to direct passengers coming in from the UK through baggage claim and immigration. The Centre for Health Protection's Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan said she might have come into "indirect contact" with some confirmed patients at the airport.

The woman lives alone in Tung Chung. Dr Chuang doesn't believe she had visited any high-risk places or hung out with others.

Some of her colleagues who shared meals with her were sent to quarantine after being listed as her close contacts.

Dr Chuang said one of the woman's co-workers, who shared a meal with her, is symptomatic and is now in hospital.
    Also in the news locally, a lot of arrests. Will this spark and another series of protests provoked by foreign influence and will the local authorities wonder why HKers are so ... whatever.

I am quite keen to see how Martin Lee's trial progresses and also who represents him.

Also worth noting that the investigations into the Yuen Long self-defense-neighbourhood-watch squad's action are still ongoing in full accordance with the law and established protocols.

Ant D has a really good summary.

Finally, on Saturday, we saw one of the largest mass arrests of pan-democrat legislators and figureheads yet. The list of 15 people arrested was a roll call of the most senior pan-democrats and protest leaders, including father of Hong Kong democracy Martin Lee, Lee Cheuk-yan, Albert Ho, “Long Hair” Leung Kwok-hung, Margaret Ng, Cyd Ho, and Jimmy Lai (again), among others.

They were charged with leading and/or participating in unlawful assemblies during the protest movement last year, in particular protests on 18 August, 1 October and 20 October.
    Also, a bunch of cops ended up disagreeing with each other over the weekend. No clue if they were carrying their batons with them (they're allowed to carry them while off duty).

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...1-20200419.htm

And finally, relief measures have been approved. The cheques are in the mail or not...

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...5-20200418.htm
    Last edited by shri; 20-04-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    HK_Katherine and Tyresmoke like this.

Well, you can't help but appreciate the problem-solving skills of some HKers. Music teachers has seen a plunge in business in this city due to the outbreak as students declined to attend lessons. The solution? Create mobile paino vans to move around the city:

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/04/19/ho...to-beat-virus/

They shouldn’t classify the Virgin ground staff as local transmission. I would guess that there is a high chance that she was infected by either a passenger or crew from London which is one of the world’s major virus epicentres.

shri, merchantms, Coolboy and 5 others like this.

This guy is getting a bit of a kicking on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/s...640402433?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    They shouldn’t classify the Virgin ground staff as local transmission. I would guess that there is a high chance that she was infected by either a passenger or crew from London which is one of the world’s major virus epicentres.
    Completely agree, however it is concerning that she first developed a cough on 6 April but continued working for some time before being tested and diagnosed. Is there not a regular testing regime for airport/airline staff?
    Jackie1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well, you can't help but appreciate the problem-solving skills of some HKers. Music teachers has seen a plunge in business in this city due to the outbreak as students declined to attend lessons. The solution? Create mobile paino vans to move around the city:

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/04/19/ho...to-beat-virus/
    "Piano" vans I mean, but I can't edit the post.

Good kicking!
    I believe too that our low death rate is due to the fact that all cases are hospitalized and therefore get early intervention if they start to deteriorate. Other countries wait until cases are knocking on death’s door before active hospital treatment.

Coolboy, Tyresmoke and hongkong7 like this.

Need to wait and see if her colleagues, close contacts and colleagues' close contacts are infected or not first. If a number of them are, then this probably needs to be considered a local cluster and the gov are back to square one.

And I write that as a huge lock down sceptic

Good kicking!
    I believe too that our low death rate is due to the fact that all cases are hospitalized and therefore get early intervention if they start to deteriorate. Other countries wait until cases are knocking on death’s door before active hospital treatment.
    Which is why I think well-deserved praise to HK healthcare workers, be they doctors, nurses or first responders, etc, is in order.

I know in the past there have been some expats on here deriding local doctor and nurses. And true, not all of them were perfect. Some could certainly improve their bedside manners. But overall, their professional quality, dedication and level of service provided is pretty good. So I take my hats off to salute them all. Job well done!
    Last edited by Coolboy; 20-04-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast