Like Tree66Likes

May 5th - "Reopening" Schedule ...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Hong Kong won’t be considered virus free once we fully open to mainland.

When countries started restricting flights most included HK along with China when we only had a handful of cases.
    OTH, several did make the distinction, New Zealand for one.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Australia and New Zealand prime ministers in discussion about a trans Tasman 'bubble' that would permit travel between these countries only and exclude all others. Qantas is starting to promote super cheap $19 airfares between cities to kick start the aviation industry.

But then for me in Western Australia, our state is locked down even from other states. We've had zero cases for over a week now, schools have been back already since 29th April and my kids back to their normal routine. But then in Melbourne there were 16 new cases overnight and this only reinforces our need to stay in our own little bubble and not permit travel even within the country.

So forget interstate travel, forget this NZ 'bubble', and certainly forget about traveling to Hong Kong for quite a while yet. Australian's are banned from leaving Australia now and will probably be the last restriction that is lifted. My Hong Kong office is going to be collecting dust, mail piling up, for quite some time to come. My staff based in HK are probably quite happy though, I know they are slack bastards taking the piss out of the situation, enjoying that their boss is banned from visiting them, as I would be doing myself .

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    Why is that? There seems to be some chatter already about this...
    Trying to choose my words carefully....

Take Australia. To your 'everyday' Bruce and Sheila, 'greater China' is just the PRC. They won't see a nuance between HKers/Taiwanese and mainlanders. It seems unlikely to me that any Western Government (i.e. Oz and NZ) would risk 'the optics' of allowing tourism from East Asia while hundreds of people are still dying in Europe and the US. Sadly I think a lot of empathy for sufferers of Covid is divided down ethnic/national lines. I could see travel between Korea and HK maybe.

All IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Australia and New Zealand prime ministers in discussion about a trans Tasman 'bubble' that would permit travel between these countries only and exclude all others. Qantas is starting to promote super cheap $19 airfares between cities to kick start the aviation industry.

But then for me in Western Australia, our state is locked down even from other states. We've had zero cases for over a week now, schools have been back already since 29th April and my kids back to their normal routine. But then in Melbourne there were 16 new cases overnight and this only reinforces our need to stay in our own little bubble and not permit travel even within the country.

So forget interstate travel, forget this NZ 'bubble', and certainly forget about traveling to Hong Kong for quite a while yet. Australian's are banned from leaving Australia now and will probably be the last restriction that is lifted. My Hong Kong office is going to be collecting dust, mail piling up, for quite some time to come. My staff based in HK are probably quite happy though, I know they are slack bastards taking the piss out of the situation, enjoying that their boss is banned from visiting them, as I would be doing myself .
    This probably better explains what I was trying to say and has a lot more substance.
    HK_Katherine and shri like this.

I don't understand the absolute need to travel some people seem to have. This is a virus that is potentially deadly to you and people around you. Just stay put and have some self discipline. Enjoy the local area. Once we have a vaccine next year, then you can go wherever you want and it would be less risk to others.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I don't understand the absolute need to travel some people seem to have. This is a virus that is potentially deadly to you and people around you. Just stay put and have some self discipline. Enjoy the local area. Once we have a vaccine next year, then you can go wherever you want and it would be less risk to others.
    In most cases this is the right thing to do but not everyone is in a position where they can afford to stay where they are.
    shri, Mr Chips and ebayhtl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    People have families, kids, parents, grandparents, siblings, uncles aunts, friends. People still get married, have kids, people obviously are dying and there are funerals. Some people are lucky enough to have jobs, they may have properties that need looking after. Kids are looking forward to go to university, some have new jobs. I have one waiting as soon as borders open. At this point, I doubt too many are looking for holidays, when they travel, there's probably a reason and I'm certainly not going to be the judge of whether it's a good enough reason or not. If you wish to, that's your prerogative.
    HK_Katherine, TheBrit and ebayhtl like this.

Even if there are safe zone travel agreements, say Korea-Taiwan-Macau will non-PR HK visa holders be treated differently?

This would be the first full summer for us to spend here and the weather is sooo much better in Europe or Canada.

Will need to do something to feel like getting away from here. Maybe set up a squatter camp in the jungle and learn to hunt wild boar?

juanalias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    People have families, kids, parents, grandparents, siblings, uncles aunts, friends. People still get married, have kids, people obviously are dying and there are funerals. Some people are lucky enough to have jobs, they may have properties that need looking after. Kids are looking forward to go to university, some have new jobs. I have one waiting as soon as borders open. At this point, I doubt too many are looking for holidays, when they travel, there's probably a reason and I'm certainly not going to be the judge of whether it's a good enough reason or not. If you wish to, that's your prerogative.
    I mostly agree with you, although I've heard from a number of teachers that they want to try and get away in the summer, if they can. That sounds more like a holiday than any of the reasons you listed. You're right though, we should not judge, just don't want to worry about having a third wave in Hong Kong.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bbchris:
    I mostly agree with you, although I've heard from a number of teachers that they want to try and get away in the summer, if they can. That sounds more like a holiday than any of the reasons you listed. You're right though, we should not judge, just don't want to worry about having a third wave in Hong Kong.
    As long as there's testing and quarantine for people coming in or returning, it shouldn't be too much of a problem and HK being a horrible place in the summer, I don't blame people for wanting to leave for a bit. I'm a lot more concerned about seeing the China border opening up. That could happen because of political reasons and with high numbers, it could be harder to manage.
    bbchris, HK_Katherine and eIIe like this.