Like Tree100Likes

Compared to HK, What is Better Where You Live Now?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Clean air
    Fresh delicious foods, much more variety
    Space, space, space
    Cleanliness
    Friendly, more diverse population
    Choice in schooling & short/zero waiting lists
    Supermarkets
    Cheaper and better quality housing
    Public transportation per bus is fabulous
    Taxi’s/Grab
    Online shopping
    (Online) banking!
    Efficiency in general, things just work
    Shopping variety
    Family environment, entertainment for kids

john_1122, tf19 and Mr Chips like this.

I'm curious to know how many people who think "home" is better than Hong Kong, are a member of the majority ethnic group in the home country. For example most Asian-Americans I know, if they have good jobs here, are much happier living in HK than going back to the US. Because they don't have to deal with a lot of discrimination and othering. Some are even happier living in PRC than in the US.

imparanoic and Morrison like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I'm curious to know how many people who think "home" is better than Hong Kong, are a member of the majority ethnic group in the home country. For example most Asian-Americans I know, if they have good jobs here, are much happier living in HK than going back to the US. Because they don't have to deal with a lot of discrimination and othering. Some are even happier living in PRC than in the US.
    esp health care in HK significantly better than usa,
    Coolboy likes this.

dudette, I personally know a Chinese guy who divorced his US wife and returned to China for that reason, and that was 20 years ago.

btw, I think you mean *minority* ethnic group.
    merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    dudette, I personally know a Chinese guy who divorced his US wife and returned to China for that reason, and that was 20 years ago.

btw, I think you mean *minority* ethnic group.
    No - I meant majority. In other words, how many of the people here writing poetically about how great UK/Australia/etc are, are middle aged white guys with cash in their pockets. I would guess most.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    esp health care in HK significantly better than usa,
    HK has a lot of problems but reading the news, ethnic minorities in both UK and US are dying from COVID at far higher rates than the white population. The food bank situation in NYC is shocking, people are lining up for hours just to get enough to eat. This crisis has highlighted a lot of simmering issues of inequality and makes it hard for me to have rose colored glasses on about how great things are.

But for me - an upper middle class professional - I could certainly carve out an idealized life and close my eyes to the reality around me if I wanted to and then come on Geo and say things are really great.

Don't know about the US... the UK is very diverse and I think discrimination tends to be against the majority ethnic group... I won't, but I have toyed with the idea of going back into public sector social care (what I did before I went to HK) and I know that being 'mixed race' would give me an advantage... I think perhaps it's the US that's odd and that the American experience doesn't extrapolate well across the west as a whole... I could be wrong...
    imparanoic and Skyhook like this.

HK has a lot of problems but reading the news, ethnic minorities in both UK and US are dying from COVID at far higher rates than the white population.
    Must be racism? Statistically, the group most at risk of dying from Covid is men...

The thread title is: Compared to HK, What is Better Where You Live Now?

I'm not sure why you want to drag race into it... that said, I'd rather be black in the UK than in China... YMMV...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Must be racism? Statistically, the group most at risk of dying from Covid is men...

The thread title is: Compared to HK, What is Better Where You Live Now?

I'm not sure why you want to drag race into it... that said, I'd rather be black in the UK than in China... YMMV...
    actually, sky news reported that black people are significantly more likely to die from COVID19 than white people, then south asians, then far eastern peple according to their stats
    Mr Chips likes this.

No - I meant majority. In other words, how many of the people here writing poetically about how great UK/Australia/etc are, are middle aged white guys with cash in their pockets. I would guess most.
    Well, my wife is Japanese, I'm a middle aged typical Aussie bloke. She is happier moving from HK to Aus than me. She is the one fascinated by the huge supermarkets, cheap dairy, cars, open spaces, etc more than me. She loves sitting on our balcony in Aus looking at the palm tree with kookaburras and parrots nesting. I miss our Kowloon flat with views of Victoria Harbour. She doesn't want to return to HK at all, I'm still missing the food, the amosphere, etc. I'm a bit confused, HK I think is better suited for a Japanese person than here in Australia. But she says if she wants something like Japan she'll go to Japan. She does miss Japan and her family etc, but not really HK.