Like Tree114Likes

How & why do some HK persons turn pro-Beijing?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GotIt:
    I guess life is much easier for people like OP. Just put some simple label "pro-Beijing" on people you don't understand, turn a blind eye on numerous issues of "pro-democratic" like doxxing, think about last year as hilarious example of "education free from propaganda" etc...
    Aside from the odd text formatting which infers that you’ve copy and pasted this from some great source, isn’t the whole point of the thread to understand why people are pro Beijing? About doxxing, the pro BJ side were always experts at it and still are, even before the protests started. Number one doxxer is obviously the HK police force which is famous for leaking private info. About propaganda free education, nice copy/paste, next time you should clear the text formatting.
    jrkob, Paxbritannia and Gatts like this.

“Great” analysis on formatting. I can imagine what fantastic conclusions you’re doing in daily life then. You fully missed the whole point: views and reasons might be more complicated than OP suggests. It’s not something that can be explained from the point of simple reasoning like his starting post or your reply to see who is worst evil, lol.

I won't claim to speak for gen Y / millenials, but for (pre) wartime babies, boomers and gen X, here are some of the reasons I have heard from friends and colleagues, or read about:

- people remember that British rule was not all wine and roses; restricted educational and job opportunites, toleration of bullying and other mistreatment of locals by the then overlords,
    - they and their parents genuinely became better off under communism (which ironically allowed the kids to move to HK),
    - the deep-seated cultural desire for stability and food security over freedom of speech (Maslow's heirachy, anyone?),
    - the belief that in 100 years none of what is going on now politically is going to have made any difference; it's more important to care for the "inside little" people (family) than to worry about "outside" people and circumstances,
    - racism,
    - the idea that with China's rise in the world, for once they can be part of the winning team,
    - $$$$$$$$$ (natch) and
    - (not stated in so many words, but) little bullies like to side with big bullies so they are protected while bullying those smaller than themselves. Related to that, a number of triads have historically been allied with the CCP just as others have been with the KMT.

Skyhook, shri, tf19 and 1 others like this.

My in-laws are a typical working class Hong Kong family. They live in a modest public housing estate, have a modest income, watch TVB and are quite pro-establishment. They also own a number of factories in Guangdong and so does the guy next door and the one across the corridor. They routinely trade "names" so that they can avoid stamp duty while acquiring more rental properties that you and I probably live in.

This may not be the norm, but there are a huge number of people who benefit from the system even though it may not be obvious at face value. Then there are those who don't, who are now starting to show their dissatisfaction with the rigged system in which they live.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I've been caught off guard a couple of times to hear some anti-protester, pro-establishment comments from acquaintances.

What I realized, and the OP already pointed it out, is that the system has WORKED for them. They are well off, own properties, bought easily (Cathay housing allowance) or inherited (property bought in the '60s). They live well beyond the means of most Hong Kongers and have everything they ever need (also for their children). They don't want their world to change. They are upset the protestors shook their prosperity.
    Except that this is not always the case. Many grass roots people have just about zero interest in politics; they are just trying to get/ keep a roof over their heads, food on the table and the kids in school. These people are upset by the trashing of the city no matter who did it, and simply want the restoration of laura norder - no matter how draconian - so they can get on with the desparate business of staying alive.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    My in-laws are a typical working class Hong Kong family. They live in a modest public housing estate, have a modest income, watch TVB and are quite pro-establishment. They also own a number of factories in Guangdong and so does the guy next door and the one across the corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    The irony was deliberate. I was trying to point out that if you look at my family they just seem like they don't benefit from the current system, when actually they do. You'd be surprised at how many families hide away a lot of wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRandomer:
    This is an actual rumour that I’ve heard within some political circles
    We may have a hint
    https://twitter.com/spacea567/status...275287553?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    I would pay a million dollars if someone could explain one particular case, Ronny Tong. Former pro-dem, opposed Article 23 back in the day, now supports it while running a covert (not so covert) pro-BJ "Path of Democracy" party and sits in Exco.
    For Ronny Tong, the local rumor is that he was caught having sex with underage girls in China. The CCP threatened to expose him if he didn't turn pro-CCP. If you google Ronny Tony in chinese, there are a few youtube videos of commentators talking about this.
    Paxbritannia likes this.

If something the history has taught is that there is no plain Black and White, Good and Evil, Wellcome and Walmart, etc.

This is one of the wonders this place has. The process they are in.