Like Tree96Likes

'Sackings' for asking open exam questions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Sounds like a totally valid history question to me.
    I would actually like to see the marking scheme for this question. While the question is open ended, the way it is marked is usually not...

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    "Hitler did more good than harm in early 20th century Germany"

People would get sacked for that too
    Erm. You've probably already been skewered for this, but a variant of that question would be absolutely standard in the Scottish Higher (equivalent to A/S level in England) History paper and probably the one that almost everyone prepares for to some degree.

The whole point of studying history in school is to move students away from the overly simplistic "this guy good, this guy bad" ideas and get them to analyse under lying reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I would actually like to see the marking scheme for this question. While the question is open ended, the way it is marked is usually not...
    From my own school experience the marking was never dependent on which side of the argument you were, but on how much knowledge you drew upon to make your argument. The conclusion wasn't important, just the way you came to it. I loved these kind of open ended questions during my time in school, because there was no wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    Erm. You've probably already been skewered for this, but a variant of that question would be absolutely standard in the Scottish Higher (equivalent to A/S level in England) History paper and probably the one that almost everyone prepares for to some degree.
    Your "a variant" point is pretty critical to the overall question.

Although in Scotland you'd get sacked for suggesting in a history exam that there might have been positives to the Tory government down south (not that I can think of many), so let's put them to the side for now.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    From my own school experience the marking was never dependent on which side of the argument you were, but on how much knowledge you drew upon to make your argument. The conclusion wasn't important, just the way you came to it. I loved these kind of open ended questions during my time in school, because there was no wrong answer.
    Yes we used to tell our students, and ourselves, that because academics are always totally objective and not affected by any personal bias as individuals or as a group. We also believed in the tooth fairy.
    GentleGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    The question was about China, you talked about China, now you talk about Taiwan.
    ( which was ceded by China to J-pan in 1895)

It seems you can’t think straight when you reason.

The whole purpose of such a question in HK is probably to maintain the Stockholm syndrome here
    Yes that could be argued as a comparative example of influence if you didn't think Taiwan is part of China. It is an open question and the quality of argument is surely the key.
    john_1122 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yes we used to tell our students, and ourselves, that because academics are always totally objective and not affected by any personal bias as individuals or as a group. We also believed in the tooth fairy.
    Aren't DSE exams marked blind twice and marks with big discrepancies a 3rd time with systems in place to monitor the conformity or bias of marking from peers and also 'seed' questions thrown in with agreed scores to also monitor graders?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    No they would be marked against a rubric, with peer review and quality systems to drive out marking bias.

dengxi, shri, john_1122 and 1 others like this.

The rights and wrongs of the question itself is almost besides the point I think, what really matters is the fact the CCP saw this as an opening to impose patriotic education on HK. To turn HKers into mindless robots. This is their first step.

Last edited by Coolboy; 17-05-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The rights and wrongs of the question itself is almost besides the point I think, what really matters is the fact the CCP saw this as an opening to impose patriotic education on HK. To turn HKers into mindless robots.
    Yes agreed. While IMO the question was poor (for an exam that is rather than for discussion) the mindset behind the reaction was worse.
    Coolboy likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast