Like Tree160Likes

National Security Law/Bill/Draft Process - Explainer....

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    From what I read its reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    A different opinion.
    https://twitter.com/antd/stat...61087621910528

Wait till you have to download Xi Jinping thought to your phone or be accused of compromising national security before you say that.
    Last edited by AsianXpat0; 26-05-2020 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added tweet

Please do share your logic, because I don't see any whatsoever.

Original Post Deleted
    Real peace and harmony will only return when the communist party stopped invading HK's autonomy.
    Paxbritannia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Please do share your logic, because I don't see any whatsoever.
    Foreign judges means HK court draws judges from various countries. As these "guest" judges don't reside in HK nor are residents, the logic is they shouldn't rule on national security cases. But its OK for them to rule on non-national security cases. I think its reasonable if the article is accurate.
    Fei88 likes this.

Foreign judges means HK court draws judges from various countries. As these "guest" judges don't reside in HK nor are residents, the logic is they shouldn't rule on national security cases. But its OK for them to rule on non-national security cases. I think its reasonable if the article is accurate.
    An international judge would be well qualified in the rule of any such laws. You do not think it's problematic if China gets to pick and choose its own judges?
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Trump promises a "very interesting" US response to the national security law:

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...5-20200527.htm

a voice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    An international judge would be well qualified in the rule of any such laws. You do not think it's problematic if China gets to pick and choose its own judges?
    It is. I get your point. But at the same time, you are talking about foreigners ruling on national security. Of course the foreign judges should be impartial but that could be compromised. Would the US or UK allow a foreign judge to rule on a national security issue? No.

Original Post Deleted
    Agreed. The news coverage is quite misleading - it refers to 16 out of 23 CFA judges being foreign but that's a reference to the panel of non-permanent judges, many of whom are from overseas. A full bench of the CFA is normally 4 permanent justices and 1 non-permanent justice, and only a small number of cases end up there.

The real question is how does this apply to judges at lower levels of the courts who are not HKSAR passport-holders? There are still a few non-HK ethnicity magistrates, at District Court we all remember David Dufton, and there are plenty of 'foreign' judges on the High Court and Court of Appeal - e.g. Mohan Bharwaney is a HK local but of Indian extraction and so probably an Indian or British citizen. Audrey Campbell-Moffatt and Kevin Zervos were both prominent at the criminal bar and are now on the High Court dealing with a high volume of criminal cases given their expertise and they're British and Australian respectively, but both are HK permanent residents who have been here most of their lives.
    mucaari, a voice and MatthieuTofu like this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast