Like Tree56Likes

Is your god guiding you like Ms Lam?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I think the argument for and against religion could have its own thread. However, there is probably nothing new that could be said about a such a well worn subject.

Getting back on topic. I wonder what Carrie Lam really feels about the CCP restrictions on religion and specifically the persecution of Christians, including her own Roman Catholics in mainland China and how she reconciles this with her faith?

I would expect that someone with a scientific background would know the difference between theories and facts that can be proven by experimentation.

I have no more patience from someone that pretend they know for certain how the universe got started than from the one guided by the voice of God. Extremism in never a pretty dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I think the argument for and against religion could have its own thread. However, there is probably nothing new that could be said about a such a well worn subject.

Getting back on topic. I wonder what Carrie Lam really feels about the CCP restrictions on religion and specifically the persecution of Christians, including her own Roman Catholics in mainland China and how she reconciles this with her faith?
    I think this is appropriate:

“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other" (Matthew 6:24)

She cannot serve the CCP and God. It is clear her loyalties are to herself only. (Though part of me thinks she is in so deep now she couldn't get out if she wanted to)
    juanalias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I am vehemently against religion and don't understand how people can do science related jobs like being a doctor and still believe in some magic fairy tale.
    I guess (well, that's my view at least) that when you do science related jobs you understand how things works, you admire the elegance of all that is created, and you can't help but wonder if there isn't a "higher" design in all it

Original Post Deleted
    It inherently doesn't..I don't understand how you draw that conclusion, there is definitely no easy logical connection between the two. Most people of science, past and present, said the same (as someone wrote in this thread already).

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I am vehemently against religion and don't understand how people can do science related jobs like being a doctor and still believe in some magic fairy tale. Those two things are mutually exclusive in my opinion. I would love to see freedom of religion changed to mean you won't get arrested for practicing your mumbo jumbo in private, but have it banned from public. No religions symbols or exemptions of any kind in public. No teaching of religions in schools, no tax free status, no church bells or crosses, no prayer rooms in airports. It's the 21st century after all.
    Agree with the bold, asking no practicing of mumbo jumbo in public is like the institution of a fashion police.

I'm curious how much help these tax free entities have been worldwide during the pandemic? Ample large properties in prime locations all over the world certainly must have been useful, right?

One thing for sure though, it's hard to imagine swearing without jesus.

Original Post Deleted
    That would not surprise me if it is true, sadly. In the early days of HK as a colony, there was little in the way of modern non-traditional education based on western philosophy, arts and science. What little such western education there was was provided by Christian missionary organizations, both Protestant and Catholic. Over time, they managed to develop respected and highly sought-after schools. The high demand for these schools was driven by a realization among local HKers that successful enrollment and graduation from these schools was a ticket out of poverty, increasing the chance of their son and daughters getting a spot at the prestigious HKU or CUHK, becoming a professional lawyer, doctor or...civil servant.

So Christian schools were often seen as a strictly instrumental tool to advance one's social well-being. That's not a sin in itself and is quite understandable from a pragmatic standpoint, but one would think they would develop Christian values too. That I am not so sure. Of course they would also say publicly that they were moved spiritually too, but how many of those statements are true?

Now Christianity was an integral part of their education of course, their doctrine, rules and ethics were instilled into the students. But how many of them truly understood it? Or were genuinely swayed into the religion? They could recite passages of the Bible with no problem. But how many follow what they preach? Some certainly did. Others, I am not so sure. But how many? I don't know.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 25-05-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    People are on a vast continuum when it comes to belief and spirituality. Being a Catholic or a Muslim doesn't mean you buy in with everything that happens within the religion. There are millions of Catholics that are pro choice, that get divorced, muslims drink and don't all pray 5 times a day, some even eat pork. Not every christian believes the story of Noah or that Moses parted the seas. Religion provides different things to different people and it's only disingenuous haters that try to paint everyone with the brush that suits them. Even those that don't follow a particular religion are not precluded from believing in a higher power. It's not uncommon either to have people hedge their bets, here you can see christians partaking in the occasional buddhist ritual.

The reality is that life can be a painful journey, everyone will face trying times at some point and everyone has to face that loved ones will disappear and eventually we will join them. Some find solace in alcohol or drugs others can find it in spirituality, family or community. I dislike when people use or impose their beliefs(or lack of) on others but I have to say I tend to have more tolerance on those that lean on spirituality than those who need substances to make themselves feel better or oblivious.

Not a competition, didn't disagree with your point, simply added my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    People are on a vast continuum when it comes to belief and spirituality. Being a Catholic or a Muslim doesn't mean you buy in with everything that happens within the religion. .
    But the problem is, some actually go against what they profess to believe and have no problem about it one bit. That's the real issue. Many American evangelicals support Trump, even though he arguably go against so many Christian beliefs, for example. From his adultery, his constant lies and vindictiveness, that's all big no-nos in the Christian view. And yet so many American Christian groups throw their support behind Trump without question.

And now we got Carrie Lam, a self-professed devout Catholic suppressing people, letting the police beat protesters senseless and cheerleading the destruction of HK's freedoms. That would not sit well with her Catholic beliefs if one was to examine this closely. And she seem perfectly happy about this.

Not even a bit of cognitive dissonance. That's the real issue with these people like Trump and his supporters and Lam.