Brands that you are surprised are still operating in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Brands that you are surprised are still operating in Hong Kong

Inspired by the thread "Brands that have succumbed to Covid-19" thought it would be interesting to discuss what people thought about brands which are still here and paying lots of rent.

For me it would be Ralph Lauren. They seem to have lost their way in a world dominated by UNIQLO and a host of other Fast Fashion and mid-range retailers that offer more stylish clothes every week. I also see Nike following suit and departing a lot from their athletics beginning.

Ralph Lauren opening up there flagship store in Lee Gardens then closing it shortly after was a shock.

I remember attending the VIP launch party back in the day, Not many people bought, They were just there for the champagne and canapés.

- I've never seen a single customer in the Swatch store in Central. Plus I always thought that Hong Kongers were obsessed with luxury watches which Swatch is decidedly not
    - Agree with Ralph Lauren - I'd much rather have an everyday affordable brand like Esprit or J Crew around that at least fits the niche for non-Asian low fashion brands
    - American brands that in the US, are typically associated with blue collar/working class such as Carhartt are surprisingly popular
    - Consumer appliance brands are frustratingly inconsistent - I'd figure that Asian consumers would be aligned to LG or Samsung (Korean brands are rapidly gaining market share over American brands such as Whirlpool and Maytag in the US) yet you have store shelves lined with obscure and overpriced European brands such as Candy, Smeg, etc
    - Super high end audio brands dominate the store shelves (i.e., B&O, Sennheiser, B&W, etc) but i wonder who the hell as an apartment that is large enough to make use of the equipment's capabilities? If I increased the volume to higher than 20-25 on my Sony TV the neighbors would would bitch to the management office