Like Tree144Likes

UK offers possible path for BNO passport holders..

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Tell me more about this underground economy.
    Yes, I hope the OP can elaborate.

Hearing it could be BNOs plus dependents which would be a huge number,

this may give china pause as the damage to HK economy would likely be irretrievable if even a percentage of that tried to go at once

It's only saying it'll explore possibilities for a 12 month stay. In reality, the UK government will probably say after exploring, it's actually not possible. Or offer people a 12 month stay only.

That way it washes it's hands nicely clean, without actually incurring any real risk of pissing off the anti immigrant part of it's electorate.

https://www.ft.com/content/06e30290-...6-5f4b0e7ff565

China on Friday hit back at the UK’s pledge to extend visa rights, arguing that the two countries had previously agreed a memorandum stating that the UK would not give Hong Kong BNO passport holders right of residency.
    WeeRandomer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    Now the ChiComs cry foul. Do fuck off!
    markranson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Tell me more about this underground economy.
    Prostitution has always been a big thing in Taiwan. They're famous for it. But what's changed over the past 5-10 years is that their economy has tanked and its bled into the wider populace.

Obviously there are a number of factors: no immediate economic prospects, significant financial pressure to support their family/village, and no hope that they can be patient and wait for things to improve.

I guess I didn't realize how bad things have gotten and how such a sizable proportion of university students have joined the sex trade in some shape or another. Obviously part of it is that its relatively easy money but a big part of it is that there's no point in aiming for a "good" job when even the good jobs pay multiples less than what they can earn in the trade.
    Elefant&Castle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by junichitsuyo:
    What countermeasures can be taken? Ban British citizens from entering China or Hong Kong or Macau?
    Making UK citizens dissapear?

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Who can pay more to prop up UK's property market? The older generation or the younger generation?

Sure housing is bad, but if there is one Ponzi scheme that needs to keep running for Western economies to keep going, it is population growth. All of the debt fuelled spending is based on an ever growing economy in nominal terms to dilute it away over many decades.

To me it is no coincidence that Japan was the first one to start shrinking and also the first to hit the 'new normal' of negative interest rates, economic decline and zombification.

Bring on those HK immigrants, and push the population shrink problem to the next generation.

Also good for London house prices of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Sure housing is bad, but if there is one Ponzi scheme that needs to keep running for Western economies to keep going, it is population growth. All of the debt fuelled spending is based on an ever growing economy in nominal terms to dilute it away over many decades.

To me it is no coincidence that Japan was the first one to start shrinking and also the first to hit the 'new normal' of negative interest rates, economic decline and zombification.

Bring on those HK immigrants, and push the population shrink problem to the next generation.

Also good for London house prices of course.
    No doubt property prices have been benefited from selective immigration over the last one to two decades. They are probably targeting middle to upper middle class parents of kids who are in their teenage years to fill the glut in younger people in the UK. In fact all of Europe has an aging population issue which makes Asia look pretty young.

It would be interesting to see whether this is indeed close to correct as things eventuate. Either way, they will be addressing one, or two birds with this stone.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast