Like Tree3Likes

June 14th Strike Referendum & possible strike

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong / London
    Posts
    7,760

    June 14th Strike Referendum & possible strike

    Union members are going to be voting next Sunday on whether to go on strike or not against the incoming National Security Laws.
    https://twitter.com/hongkongstrike/s...01862446870531

    LaurieP likes this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    23,858
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Union members are going to be voting next Sunday on whether to go on strike or not against the incoming National Security Laws.
    https://twitter.com/hongkongstrike/s...01862446870531
    Where is the fund to pay the bus drivers wages while they go on strike?
    Last edited by East_coast; 07-06-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    Paxbritannia likes this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong / London
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Where is the fund to pay the bus drivers wages while they go on strike?
    I’m asking around and will come back to you with an answer once I get the info (if it exists).

    Meanwhile the govt is getting worried
    https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0060700748.htm

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    23,858
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    I’m asking around and will come back to you with an answer once I get the info (if it exists).

    Meanwhile the govt is getting worried
    https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0060700748.htm
    They need only worry if transport workers strike. Key medical workers won't strike and everyone else it really doesn't matter if your not in the office / shop etc for a day.

    When the fund is set-up advertise it for donations and make the pick-up of cash easy and legal. Although legal anything for actions against the government seem very difficult these days.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong / London
    Posts
    7,760

    Postponed due to the incoming storm
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

    Greghouse likes this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong / London
    Posts
    7,760

    I’m sure there’s some logic behind how in person votes weigh more than online... probably due to fears of infiltration
    https://twitter.com/damon_pang/statu...312696833?s=21


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    2,308
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...students-start


    "Organisers needed 60,000 votes to call for a citywide work strike, but only 8,943 ballots were cast"



    It is over.

    Thank you Hong Kong, you put up a good fight over the past year.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong / London
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...students-start


    It is over.

    Thank you Hong Kong, you put up a good fight.
    I suspect it was a mixture of it being Father’s Day weekend along with the fact that instead of it being a two day long vote as it was supposed to be... one day only. We’ll see how it ultimately increased union membership levels and that’s the important part if another vote is to take place. Also the 30 unions participating was quite a narrow scope, PTU, biggest pro dem union was not included for some reason...
    https://twitter.com/kongtsunggan/sta...618997248?s=21

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    位置位置位置
    Posts
    48,734
    I suspect it was a mixture of it being Father’s Day weekend along with the fact that instead of it being a two day long vote as it was supposed to be... one day only. We’ll see how it ultimately increased union membership levels and that’s the important part if another vote is to take place. Also the 30 unions participating was quite a narrow scope, PTU, biggest pro dem union was not included for some reason...
    Whatever you say... whatever excuses are handed out, and however you try to spin this, you have to admit that there is a chilling effect - from 1-2 million people marching to < 20K people voting to strike.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong / London
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Whatever you say... whatever excuses are handed out, and however you try to spin this, you have to admit that there is a chilling effect - from 1-2 million people marching to < 20K people voting to strike.
    I'm genuinely unsure with the CTU and it's major arm... the PTU did not participate... it was mostly new unions only... with total membership at about 14k (if i remember correctly) as of last week (CTU total membership is around 160k). Far from the aim of 60k though.

    Wouldn't credit the failure entirely to the chilling effect of NSL... campaigning for LegCo and primaries is still going on. Lack of publicity and the non-inclusion of the main pro-dem union led to this being a failure...

    EDIT: 21.4% increase in Union membership thanks to the pre-referendum drive... Not bad at all.
    Last edited by MatthieuTofu; 21-06-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast