Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pauljoecoe
  • 2 Post By Kowloon72

Relocating back to Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Relocating back to Hong Kong

Hi all,

My husband and I met in HK some years ago and have been trying to get back there, despite the issues as we love the country. I'm coming back, hopefully on a teaching contract, I have an interview this week. My husband is a pilot, but also setting up his own business over there, so there's an investment visa in the mix and pilot job hunting going on there, but it's obviously slow. My question is, how has the pandemic affected the teaching industry? I have friends and family still on the ground and I'm hearing different things. Language centres are struggling it seems, the smaller ones anyway, larger schools seem ok, but only have students part-time at the moment. It looks like there are lots of teaching positions advertised, but I wonder how salary's have been affected as some of my teaching friends took a huge pay cut or had to leave HK altogether as they no longer had a job. I know that the borders are still closed for anyone who's not PR and there is still a quarantine in place. Any idea when that will be lifted? I've heard September, but I'd be interested if anyone has heard anything else.

Thanks
    Shelley

My direct experience of 3 school organisations and hearing from others I know is that teaching in the larger international schools haven’t changed. Same numbers still employed same salaries (although salaries increases are a bit lower this year...but still getting increases) And new staff are still being taken on to replace those leaving, (staff always leave, that’s the norm.)

most schools have all the kids back full time now (except younger kindergarten)

Teaching centres, language schools are a different matter, many have closed through lack of funds. Although I hear some teachers have done really well with additional private tuition whilst schools have been teaching from home.

Hong Kong is open to temporary as well as permanent residents. As long as you have a work/dependent visa, therefore entitled to a resident ID card (even if you have got it yet) you can have entry, yes you will have to do a 2 week quarantine at the moment.

some people (specified countries) have to go to government quarantine centres, others can go to hotels (or home if you have one)

Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 16-06-2020 at 07:36 AM.
    Kowloon72 likes this.

Thanks Paul, that's all really good to know. Yes, I'm hoping I'm one of those that can go to a home or hotel....gulp!

If you can get in on a dependants visa, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the opportunities this summer (if you believed this forum you'd be the only expat left come 2021).

Think your husband finding a pilot's job will be more of a challenge.

TaD_LaLa and mrgoodkat like this.

Pilot's job forget it CX will have hundreds on the street before year end not to mention Dragon and several others better stay where you are.