Like Tree22Likes

Everyday racism by the police

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Racism is blatant and socially acceptable in HK, just ask any Filipino.

Or even as an Anglo Saxon how often do people NOT choose to sit next to you on a bus or MTR. Less often but does happen , get up when you sit next to them. YES I am wearing deodorant thank you and NO I don't mind if I get more room to sit in a seat designed for a community of 20% or less bulk, than me.

HOWEVER ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    why?
    "This article has been withdrawn pending review."

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/enter...utality-racial

My first reason for thinking it bullshit is the fact it was an Uber. Uber is illegal in HK, I've called the cops on an Uber myself. Unless you are speaking to the officer building a case against particular drivers, then they don't want to know and will lecture you on using unlicensed cabs. Never mind if it's in the middle of the night and you're drunk on the phone.

Next, the behavior the rapper admits to in his account of sitting drinking JD on the street didn't scream peaceful law abiding citizen.

Also, there was a discrepancy in the first couple of paras. He first claims a few of his Pakistani friends were arrested, then later claims everyone else was let go and the police started picking on him.

Finally, the dialogue really didn't ring true at all, sounded very forced like from a movie. I've also never met a HK cop with "perfect English", never mind a grunt out doing street pickups in the wee hours.

Edit: I am not defending the HK police generally, I am not claiming they are not racist, and I am not claiming that the South Asian community in HK is not subject to dreadful racism generally. I just didn't believe this story.
    Last edited by Kowloon72; 24-06-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    cloroxbleach and Coolboy like this.

If you have lived overseas, I think that people tend to be more tolerant.

Some people you meet are good, others are despicable. The colour of a person’s skin does not define the person that you are.

This was a good example of an American hero:-

https://www.metro.news/hero-wronged-...h-cop/2054325/

Last edited by ArrynField; 24-06-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Black clothing is also now ruthlessly discriminated against too - maybe the protestors should start wearing pink or yellow?

I was walking down Queen's Rd Central late last night - nobody was around, but there were 4 burly policeman surrounding a young boy in a black t-shirt and jeans on his lonesome.

I shouldn't doxx myself
    Last edited by aw451; 24-06-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Story doesn't seem that unlikely though missing some video evidence. The police are however proven to use disproportionate force against people with darker skin tones. Take the guy who died in custody after being kneed on the neck (police claim it was the alcohol that caused his death... i suspect kneeling on his neck did not help either), or the case of police shooting a man who was attacking them with a stool/chair... which i doubt would have happened if the man was ethnically chinese.

Police have also started to tell westerners to go back to their home country when confronted by them... though i suspect this has been the case with EM for a long time already.

Well, I guess I'm fortunate that my only experience of HK Police is when me and my wife were on the wrong side of a cordon of riot police during in a protest and we wanted to get out. I walked up to them and they very politely made a gap for us to walk through.

Being old, white and badly dressed I guess we didn't fit the demographic they were interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    I take the bait...

Really? Please enlighten us how that is racist?
    I grew up with Indian, Pakistani & Sri Lankan friends, yet I don't call them "brown people".