Like Tree176Likes

National Security Law - Banter

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Instanteous reaction is not the norm in international diplomacy. Meaningful reaction takes time. You may be right, there could be no reaction. Or there might. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 01-07-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Instanteous reaction is not the norm in international diplomacy. Meaningful reaction takes time. You may be right, there could be no reaction. Or there might. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

(Sound of you reversing, if it wasn't clear )

Original Post Deleted
    It will negatively impact HK either way. But as for Beijing getting off scot-free, I am not so sure about that because that's assuming any US retaliation will be limited to HK and not targeting China as a whole. That may not be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

(Sound of you reversing, if it wasn't clear )
    No I am not. I am simply being open to possibilities. I am not dogmatic, unlike you, after all. You are making a premature opinion that there will be no reaction. That may well be wrong. Instead of making snide and unproductive remarks, offer a convincing counter-argument.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 01-07-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    Sage likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Trump doesn't give a fuck. He doesn't care about the Uighers, he doesn't care about the Tibetians and he doesn't care about Hong Kongers. It has been obvious all along that the US would not coming riding in on their white charger. Atonishing that anyone would think Trump would give a toss about Hong Kong.
    Gatts, tf19 and Edwardstorm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Trump doesn't give a fuck. He doesn't care about the Uighers, he doesn't care about the Tibetians and he doesn't care about Hong Kongers. It has been obvious all along that the US would not coming riding in on their white charger. Atonishing that anyone would think Trump would give a toss about Hong Kong.
    Again, manufacturing a strawman argument. Nobody said Trump cared about HK. Any US action taken will not be done because Washington cared about HK, it will be done in accordance to Washington's interest. And the US statement released by Pompeo specifically hinted that Washington will take further measures in response.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:

I believe the results will reflect what DennisMilano and TheBrit were saying about the chilling effect that the party wants to achieve.
    In HK that could be the case, but consequences on HK is not limited to loss of basic freedoms. There are consequences to HK's international status and position.

Original Post Deleted
    No, because Beijing was not thinking through the possible consequences.

Original Post Deleted
    But how do you know there will be nothing consequent in the future? Unless you got a crystal ball, you don't know that and can't make that claim. What is extremely weak is making premature judgements about no reactions. Like I said whether you are right or I am right, we'll just have to wait and see.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm not flip flopping. I am simply saying that is a possibility. I am at least willing to entertain the contrarian position. That doesn't mean I think that will happen. I am saying I think China miscalculated.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 01-07-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast