Like Tree386Likes

UK: 3M BNO To Be Offered Citizenship Path

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    there is bound to be fees like maybe NHS fees but I reckon it will still be a HELL of lot cheaper than the spousal visa fee that had to be done twice to reach the 5 year mark.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I hope you are right.
    chuckster007 likes this.

3M is a lot of people, and Blighty is cold and miserable most of the time

What about taking the Isle of Grain and deregulating it for new-comers? Relax building regulations there so CK and others can get right down to building high-rise flats, and special tax policies to emulate HK on capital gains and income tax, so it could be a boomtown from day 1.

Only condition: they have to fund the new Boris Island airport, at last!

TheRoadAhead likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    there is bound to be fees like maybe NHS fees but I reckon it will still be a HELL of lot cheaper than the spousal visa fee that had to be done twice to reach the 5 year mark.
    And Dominic Raab has said "the application process would be simple" and "They will also will not face salary thresholds to gain their visas". This actually makes it better than a marriage or spouse visa. Bring it on.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    If "now" means "in a few months when they've implemented the policy", yes - although they've suggested they'll be lenient on BN(O)s in the meantime when it comes to visa applications.
    dossier likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes exactly!
    dossier likes this.

The reality is that anyone with a bit of money has plenty of options as to where they can go so I don't see too many opting for old blighty especially in light of the poor COVID response and Brexit. There are also many more BNO eligible people that already have passports to other countries. Let's face it, the people that were offered BNO passports are from the pre '97 era where loads and loads of people were more scared than they are now so a lot of the ones that had the drive and desire to move abroad made their plans long ago.

The people I know that have BNO and no other options are not really that interested in moving abroad. That being said, the same people have also moved some money to overseas banks and many did renew or reapply for those passports. Many HKers are a pragmatic bunch and they like to have options. The virus situation is forcing people into a wait and see situation. Not a fan of BJ and his cohort but respect for making this move and giving the bird to China.

Original Post Deleted
    My Plan was to move to the UK in Q1 of 2021, we were supposed to go to the UK 2 weeks ago for a holiday, look at houses, set up bank account etc to get ready for the big move but the damm virus fecked that up but we are still on track to leave HK for the UK and with this BNO acceptance, the move will be easier.

Extract my MPF and the Mrs P fund (govt hosp), take lump sum of money to UK, buy large house with garden outer Manchester / Liverpool area, shove the kid into a free good Primary school. Look for job, if all else fails, become UBER drive lol

Pubs and Anfield football stadium is calling
    Last edited by chuckster007; 02-07-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    shri, dossier, Andy SNK and 4 others like this.

Do we have any (gu-)estimates on how long it will take for the Home Office and UK Visas and Immigration to actually set up the BN(O) mechanism that was announced on the 1st July 2020? I am assuming this will be in place by the autumn / end of 2020 (in terms of actual deal / process / mechanism / forms etc.)

A lot of changes .. and huffing and puffing going on...

https://twitter.com/XinqiSu/s...47058136281088

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    A lot of changes .. and huffing and puffing going on...

https://twitter.com/XinqiSu/s...47058136281088
    "UK foreign secretary Dominic Raab has admitted there is little Britain can do to “coercively force” China if it tried to block Hongkongers from coming to the UK."

Could we speculate on how China could "block Hongkongers from coming to the UK."?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast