Like Tree29Likes

Legco Elections - Rumor - May be Postponed...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    If they are messing with anything, it’s probably not ramping up testing quick enough which is spreading out the cases so instead of having perhaps 500 cases for a few days to clear the backlog, 100 cases for a week or two. Makes it look like the situation is not improving, but even a non scientist can tell that the situation will be better than now come September...

Case numbers these next few days will be important. High case numbers, govt. will be thrilled. Low (or downward trend) and the govt. will look like idiots.
    I have just been to the post office and the queue was longer than the last election I voted in.
    AsianXpat0 and MatthieuTofu like this.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...uncil-polls-be

A pro-establishment lawmaker, who spoke on condition of anonymity, believed the Hong Kong government would prefer to wait and see whether the political situation could change.

“The pandemic is just an excuse,” said the lawmaker who represented a functional constituency. “Look at how Singapore went ahead with its election earlier this month amid the coronavirus outbreak.”

The lawmaker expressed concerns over what might happen after a delay was announced. “I am not sure if we can cope with the constitutional crisis,” he said. “It might deepen the social conflicts and pose another uncertainty to the business environment.”
    Fairly balanced article (for the SCMP) before they go behind a paywall.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I have just been to the post office and the queue was longer than the last election I voted in.
    Someone was saying on Twitter the queues for the free pro Beijing mouthpieces in the morning were longer too

Could the postponement be because Elderly will not venture out due to virus and they're usually the ones voting with bags of rice, oil and gift cards.

As seen in last election they were packed up in buses with bags of rice etc.

Paxbritannia and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by inf_777:
    Could the postponement be because Elderly will not venture out due to virus and they're usually the ones voting with bags of rice, oil and gift cards.

That surely is not true

Quote Originally Posted by inf_777:

Can’t do group yum cha with no dine-in
    Paxbritannia and Gatts like this.

Spotted in the NPC observer Twitter acct.

https://twitter.com/aaronMCN/status/...609111040?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    That surely is not true
    Why do you say that’s surely not true? (Re bussing in voters to polling stations and giving gifts). Maybe I’m just a cynic but I’ve heard of this practice for decades now. Whilst a scandal in a true democracy, as far as I’m aware it’s entirely legal to assit the elderly to attend polling stations, no? In fact a caring social service?

No ones filling out their polling card for them (hopefully) but giving them a lift down the road - I’d be surprised if they weren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Why do you say that’s surely not true? (Re bussing in voters to polling stations and giving gifts). Maybe I’m just a cynic but I’ve heard of this practice for decades now. Whilst a scandal in a true democracy, as far as I’m aware it’s entirely legal to assit the elderly to attend polling stations, no? In fact a caring social service?

No ones filling out their polling card for them (hopefully) but giving them a lift down the road - I’d be surprised if they weren’t.
    They are given a little slip of paper with the name, photo and candidate number of who they should vote for.