Like Tree54Likes

Who wants to be the next CE or any senior government official now?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

For a 5.2 million salary I can't think of anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    For a 5.2 million salary I can't think of anyone.
    But you don't see the strings attached to that salary? And where do you deposit that salary? Not any bank with linkages to the US financial system, that rules out a lot of options. Plus, not being able to travel to the West or have any kind of transactions with them...that gotta create some...incoveniences.

will there be a CY Leung comeback?

MatthieuTofu and Coolboy like this.

Original Post Deleted
    He was a master of kicking cans down the road.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    will there be a CY Leung comeback?
    He's hollering loudly from the sidelines, but that does not mean he wants the job necessarily. Leung is too smart to want to be saddled with the poison chalice again. I think he has enough of the experience the first time round. What he's doing is trying to gain favours with the CCP...without actually wanting his old job back.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 11-08-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Just a question, let's say if Trump is booted out in November election, does that mean this NSL sanction will be lifted?

Original Post Deleted
    He even had pan-dem figures like YL Wong as SJ.

Tsang's corruption seemed pretty small fry - he gave a gong to some guy who was renovating his Shenzhen flat at a below market price. I think most people would be quite happy if that was the most scandalous thing a government official ever did!
    Taxmyass likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ramelec:
    Just a question, let's say if Trump is booted out in November election, does that mean this NSL sanction will be lifted?
    Its possible, but I am a little skeptical of that prospect. Biden may take a different approach to China in contrast to Trump's "blame everything on China" approach. But only within certain limits. There is a large political constituency in America that cares about human rights in China, whether in Congress or more broadly in the activist groups, NGOs or general public opinion. That will constrain Biden, if he is elected to be President, from revoking the sanctions.

Yes, Washington is frequently a hypocrite when it comes to defending human rights globally. It shares champagne with even more odious figures from dubious regimes around the world. Especially during the Cold War, Washington had a pretty ugly record in propping up several authoritarian regimes around the world. America is frequently conflicted between pursing a naked self-interest foreign policy that only cares about power vs one that promotes democracy and freedom around the world.

BUT...now that there seem to be a bipartisan consensus in Washington that China is a rival to the US and that human rights in China matters a lot for America, it may be difficult for Biden to remove the sanctions without some corresponding move in China to rescind or freeze the enforcement of the NSL. And how likely is that going to happen given Beijing's hardline moves...
    Last edited by Coolboy; 11-08-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    ramelec likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    BUT...now that there seem to be a bipartisan consensus in Washington that China is a rival to the US and that human rights in China matters a lot for America, it may be difficult for Biden to remove the sanctions without some corresponding move in China to rescind or freeze the enforcement of the NSL. And how likely is that going to happen given Beijing's hardline moves...
    I think the speed in which this happened tells us there won't be a roll back of sanctions anytime soon. Dems love the fact it was a republican (Nixon) that started this roller coaster.

Likely that Carrie Lam will be running again in 2022 for reelection and we'll have her until 2027.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...et-second-term