Like Tree26Likes

What is the point of a universal Covid-19 test?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think this is a huge disincentive- why would you volunteer for testing knowing you would be shipped off to hospital and your family locked in a quarantine facility for at least two weeks? Home isolation- if I was a risk- I would be happy with.

Why would anyone volunteer under this punitive system- is there anywhere else in the world with as punitive an outcome?

I predict a mass avoidance. They will then introduce compulsory testing for civil servants (and possibly schools) to save face.

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    I think this is a huge disincentive- why would you volunteer for testing knowing you would be shipped off to hospital and your family locked in a quarantine facility for at least two weeks? Home isolation- if I was a risk- I would be happy with.

Why would anyone volunteer under this punitive system- is there anywhere else in the world with as punitive an outcome?

I predict a mass avoidance. They will then introduce compulsory testing for civil servants (and possibly schools) to save face.
    Odd isn't it. We have returned to the UK after 6 weeks of traveling and my wife would like to visit her 92 year old mum. She would like a test first just to be sure she is no carrying the virus. The only way she can do this in the UK is to pretend to be feeling ill.
    SZ1 and gigglinggal like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Japan still only managing 10k tests per 1M, putting it 150th in the world in terms of tests per capita. What's the strategy there?

Still adding 1200+ cases a day despite the super low testing rates.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    Dr. Ho Pak-Leung from Centre for Infection and Infectious Diseases, University of Hong Kong
    ...he said that the confirmed cases will be tested for the virus three times before being admitted to the hospital. He believes that the chance of being unjustly admitted to the hospital for treatment is close to zero and appeals to the public not to worry

https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/dr-ho-fro...ow-10-per-day/

It would be better to allow people to have the option of free testing, 2 - 3 times over a one month period.

In addition, why not provide an antibody test (assuming they are reliable)? That way, those with anti-bodies can resume work...

Quote Originally Posted by dincer80:
    Dr. Ho Pak-Leung from Centre for Infection and Infectious Diseases, University of Hong Kong
    ...he said that the confirmed cases will be tested for the virus three times before being admitted to the hospital. He believes that the chance of being unjustly admitted to the hospital for treatment is close to zero and appeals to the public not to worry

https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/dr-ho-fro...ow-10-per-day/
    Please don't post/read Dimsumdaily as it's not a real news source, it has been proven to be full of fake articles in the past.
    MatthieuTofu and markbradley like this.

Part 2 of yesterday's backchat was pretty entertaining:

https://www.rthk.hk/radio/radio3/pro...episode/701223

Prof Ben Cowling discusses the possibility of a lucky draw event where the grand prize winners get a paid vacation to Asia World Expo!

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    It would be better to allow people to have the option of free testing, 2 - 3 times over a one month period.

In addition, why not provide an antibody test (assuming they are reliable)? That way, those with anti-bodies can resume work...
    HK now has only 4000+ cases. Assuming 10x of hidden cases, that's only about 40K people carrying antibodies.
    Having only such a group working for a 7+ million city is not enough.