View Poll Results: How concerned are you about Covid-19?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very scared - I worry about catching it/keeps me awake at night

1 1.72%
  • Moderately scared - I think about it and make sure to take precautions when I can

23 39.66%
  • Not very scared - if I catch it, I will survive. It doesn't figure much in my thinking.

21 36.21%
  • Not at all scared - it's all over-hyped. Rather just catch it and get it over with!

5 8.62%
  • Some other answer (put in comments)

8 13.79%
Like Tree87Likes

How concerned are you about the threat of catching Covid-19?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mysti:
    I'm more concerned that my dad will get it since he has a very weak immune system. I get a bit paranoid every time he goes to the park for his daily exercise...
    Understandable, and clearly you're not allowing it to control your/his life

But in addressing everyone else I'd say that society, collectively, really needs to realise that paranoia is not a useful emotion. Caution, ok great; but caution is not a zero sum game, you have to sacrifice something to increase it and what is being sacrificed is often more than just the moment in time in question.

On the whole paranoia has increased massively through covid and that's no way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Stage 4 heart failure
    Very sorry hear it, I wish you all the best.

But I will say that there is this assumption (or an expressed position that is repeated by others) that if people in high risk categories catch it, it's the end for them. I can fully understand what drives those in that position to say that to others, but for those others benefit, thankfully the reality is more positive, (as I'm sure the high-riskers already know for themselves).

But It looks to me that many people who are not in the high risk categories don't really appreciate what the relative risk levels are for 'high-risk' individuals.

Of course this does't address your individual situation at all Hullexile, but even the early data out of Wuhan (when treatment regimes were pretty damn rudimentary compared to today) show the following:

Case fatality of those:
    70-79 8%
    80+ 14.8%
    Hypertension 6%
    Diabetes 7.3%
    Cardiovascular disease 10.5%
    Chronic Respiratory disease 6.3%
    Cancer (any) 5.6%
    Last edited by Sage; 26-08-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Very sorry hear it, I wish you all the best.

But I will say that there is this assumption (or an expressed position that is repeated by others) that if people in high risk categories catch it, it's the end for them. I can fully understand what drives those in that position to say that to others, but for those others benefit, thankfully the reality is more positive, (as I'm sure the high-riskers already know for themselves).

But It looks to me that many people who are not in the high risk categories don't really appreciate what the relative risk levels are for 'high-risk' individuals.

Of course this does't address your individual situation at all Hullexile, but even the early data out of Wuhan (when treatment regimes were pretty damn rudimentary compared to today) show the following:

Case fatality of those:
    70-79 8%
    80+ 14.8%
    Hypertension 6%
    Diabetes 7.3%
    Cardiovascular disease 10.5%
    Chronic Respiratory disease 6.3%
    Cancer (any) 5.6%
    They are pretty high numbers. Would you take a flight if these were the odds of dying?
    rkenia852 likes this.

Am I worried about the whole COVID-19 ? Not from where I am located, I think we've handled the whole social isolation thing pretty well, most folks here have done good by the authorities here, cant say the same for the southern states which have brought a lot of what has happened on themselves by not staying the feck home when they should have.

Also as I live in a semi rural location, it's just not crowded, and even when we were social isolating at home, it didnt really affect our life thanks to having enough recreational space around our property to be pretty much business as usual for our home life. So I am not concerned even though i do live with concurrent medically treated malignant hypertension, should I catch COvID-19, I reckon it will probably finish me off, but then again, I have managed to survive so far, even at the curiosity of my doctors lol I've been pretty hard to kill so far ha ha. In saying that, I am pretty common sense based about my approach to the whole situation and just wont put myself at risk either, so just going with the whole flow. As I am not a god fearing person, I am pretty at ease about everything, but fear and worry have never been traits I have ever entertained, I just don't operate that way as it achieves nothing fruitful.

When individuals say they are not scared it is often code for not wanting to take precautions either for themselves or to protect others.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    They are pretty high numbers. Would you take a flight if these were the odds of dying?
    Pretty high is relative of course.

Maybe what you mean is, if I were 87, would I take a flight where the chance of the plane having a bomb on board was less than one in a thousand (prevalence of covid in HK) , AND if so, I had an 15% chance of dying? Yes I'd take that flight, every time. About a 1 in 9,000 chance of dying on each flight. (Not even offsetting the risk of dying of other age related conditions totally unrelated to the bomb)

If you mean would I inject myself with covid if I were 87 and had an 15% chance of dying, then no, I wouldn't. These 2 hypotheticals are definitely not the same decision of course.

However we're not talking hypotheticals, we're talking situations unique to individuals.

My point is that how individuals think about risk is not always very helpful to them.
    Last edited by Sage; 26-08-2020 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Typo
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    When individuals say they are not scared it is often code for not wanting to take precautions either for themselves or to protect others.
    I know what you're saying and back home that's certainly the mentality.

Here, at least in my case, I can say we're not particularly scared because we know we're taking all the reasonable precautions and live in a low density area. We don't get too many strangers here, except for hikers and govt workers. So since we have a reasonable understanding of how its transmitted, having negated them as much as we can means we can say we're not particularly scared. We live in the same area as almost all our friends, so if we were lazy we'd be putting our nearby friends at risk also.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    Or code for "I understand statistics"

To be fair he's in the Philippines where the risk of that plane having a positive case (or 3) on it is almost a certainty these days (just look at the HK arrival info).

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    From the Great Nury Vittachi

Nury Vittachi is a CCP boot-licking scumbag.