Like Tree105Likes

Covid: Sept - HK Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Always hated shaking hands or worse hugging acquaintances
    Namaste ..
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Personally, I love social distancing. Always hated shaking hands or worse hugging acquaintances and even having them physically close by. Now I finally have a good excuse to avoid touching people I don't know well and staying a couple of meters away. I'm in paradise in that regards. Physical contact with loved ones only.
    Well, social interaction with HK locals don't involve lots of hugging. So that ain't much of an issue for HK.
    HK_Katherine and TaD_LaLa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well, social interaction with HK locals don't involve lots of hugging. So that ain't much of an issue for HK.
    It's those damn westerners... If we can get rid of handshakes forever, I'll be happy. Asian culture had it right hundreds of years ago with bows, wais and namaste.
    Coolboy and calmathetic9 like this.

It's those damn westerners... If we can get rid of handshakes forever, I'll be happy. Asian culture had it right hundreds of years ago with bows, wais and namaste.
    True.

I remember the old farmer father of a Greek student giving me a kiss on the lips. Still the almonds, olives and olive oil he had brought with him as a gift for me made it worthwhile .
    Elegiaque and TaD_LaLa like this.

Personally, I love social distancing. Always hated shaking hands or worse hugging acquaintances and even having them physically close by. Now I finally have a good excuse to avoid touching people I don't know well and staying a couple of meters away. I'm in paradise in that regards. Physical contact with loved ones only.
    I've enjoyed having a more humane spacing between tables in restaurants!

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    I've enjoyed having a more humane spacing between tables in restaurants!
    Indeed. It would be nice if HK Gov would allow more than 6.5 m2 per care home resident. Not very much after you take out common areas etc.

I used to work for the European Broadcasting Union and most of us Brits. were awkward about the kissing practices or the Continentals; which cheek first, how many kisses, contact or not... it all seemed very arbitrary but with an undercurrent of the risk of some faux pas or other... Continentals knew the rules, we didn't...

...that said, I miss handshakes... I still believe you can tell a lot about a man from his handshake... here in Spain, everyone's doing the elbow shake thing... but it's not the same. Nah, if I'm introduced to you and you don't stand up, look me in the eye and give me a firm handshake that will not count as a good first impression.

Nooooooo to just about all of the greeting options. I’m actually starting to think that the local method of waving for hello and bye bye or ’bubbaye’ is the way forward when I used to think it was odd (palm waving side to side for ages). Maybe I’m just the only one that sees it like that?

ALL of the other options are awkward.

Handshakes, whether it is a sweaty one or a painful one (what are you trying to prove?) or a limp one. Why?

Cheek kissing and hugging Euro style. The English in me just finds that awkward Even worse is the air kissing derivation of that adopted by the Vogue crowd.

Bowing Japanese style. No matter how many times I’ve been and how office locals have tried to help I just don’t get it. For once I’d actually be interested in the Brit’s comments to see how it’s like for a foreigner.

Hugging and back slapping US style. High fives and the rest. Not for me thanks.

As to the subject matter I’m really hoping against hope that the results of voluntary testing are separated from the BAU at least for a week so we have a half decent measure (even with 500,000) of what’s out there.

if we see surprisingly low positives from the testing then we can hopefully see a few more restrictions lifted (beaches and gyms for some on here, 24 hour bar for me). Hoping for easing of quarantine restrictions as well so we could at least have some fresh air and a stroll

if results are high then we have meaningful feedback to make decision.

saw this earlier on the FB group where I usually get all the information that I post updates from.

apparently free seminar on mental health during covid.

https://www.eventbrite.hk/e/managing...s-117358712067

Name:  Screenshot_20200902-083940_Facebook.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  389.0 KB

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast