Like Tree71Likes

Covid: Sweden vs HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    And? What else does HK have to show for? HK has around 50,000 deaths per year, what's another 4200 deaths (10%) on top of that? That's a figure we all could easily live with in exchange for having a normal life without restrictions.
    Depends if someone you know is part of the extra 10%

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Depends if someone you know is part of the extra 10%
    Depends if I like them

I believe Sweden also started to have some smarter policies? Without any social distancing, masks, etc., we would probably have much more than 2 death a year out of 1,000 people. That's a lot.

Anyway what's the problem with the policies in HK? You have to wear a mask. Big deal!

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    I believe Sweden also started to have some smarter policies? Without any social distancing, masks, etc., we would probably have much more than 2 death a year out of 1,000 people. That's a lot.

Anyway what's the problem with the policies in HK? You have to wear a mask. Big deal!
    Borders and beaches are closed, must drink your beer with straw through your mask, can't have dinner with friends.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

And? What else does HK have to show for? HK has around 50,000 deaths per year, what's another 4200 deaths (10%) on top of that? That's a figure we all could easily live with in exchange for having a normal life without restrictions.
    Actually HK has around 89K deaths per year from an average life expectancy of 84.68yrs.

BUT Hull's claim that we'd have an extra 569 deaths x 7.5 is the hogwash - Sweden had a high death rate early on as they made a few policy mistakes in how they let covid infect nursing homes (as did many jurisdictions) - which is where ALL the deaths come from essentially.

NOW, today, Oct 2020, HK's policy would need to be to isolate the elderly, get all the ff'ing healthy people out of hospitals and reserve them for any high riskers that do catch it. With greatly improved drug treatments since Sweden's initial death spike, HK would have way way less then 4200 extra deaths.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel_:
    It's not the virus, it's government's approach to it. Look at Sweden, they did very little and their society is functioning normally.
    I believe their way is highly controversial. They sacrifice quite lot of people. With roughly 23 people per Km² they can have a much easier control than we in HK with 6700 people/Km²

Our health system would collapse in no time. On top of the corona death you will have plenty of other death from people that opt not to seek help or no hospital can handle them.

I believe HK is doing quite well and the impact other than travel isn't that big.

Economist article: The real lessons from Sweden’s approach to covid-19

Sweden represents the middle path - not 'do nothing' and not 'Paranoia'

https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...ch-to-covid-19

Name:  EC1.png
Views: 197
Size:  1,000.4 KBName:  EC2.png
Views: 190
Size:  396.8 KBName:  EC3.png
Views: 190
Size:  139.5 KB

mrgoodkat and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper:

Our health system would collapse in no time.
    No it wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper:
    On top of the corona death you will have plenty of other death from people that opt not to seek help or no hospital can handle them.
    No you wouldn't
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Watch David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet on Netflix and then come back and tell me we couldn't do with way less people on this planet
    I could definitively live with fewer people on this forum, but unfortunately I don't get to choose. I'd prefer though to keep my parents around for another decade or so. So unless you show me a way where covid only affects those that I don't care about, I'd prefer if you have to restrict your boozing a bit. Withdrawal symptoms are painful but you'll get through it....
    Aramis, TheBrit, hullexile and 4 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast