Like Tree108Likes

Cathay Pacific Layoffs / RIP Dragon..

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    A young Cathay pilot has recently upgraded his family's apartment and moved in below me into a 1000+ sq/ft apartment. I have never noticed him being away in the months that he's lived here, and he seems to be on an endless carefree holiday, practicing his operatic voice each day, seemingly all day.

I have zero sympathy for the pilots.
    What district do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    I was also wondering if this is a kickback to the hotel sector, or an admission of failing to properly control home quarantine?
    A little bit of both - Quite a few of the hotels are owned by influential people and also, not an admission of failure. I do think there were quite a few people walking around while they should have been in quarantine - I know of a couple of folks who were shamed in private groups - so I have mixed feelings about this.

What I don't have mixed feelings about is the fact that residents are not allowed to reenter HK. A matter of principles I guess.

Article in the Telegraph about expats/Cathay Dragon pilots returning home due to pandemic layoffs...

https://us.yahoo.com/lifestyle/anti-...100316986.html

drumbrake and Coolboy like this.

Cup is half empty view: Five routes lost ...

The Cathay Pacific Group looks set to exit five cities in mainland China. A recent update from the Civil Aviation Administration of China gives the airline group the right to fly to more than 15 cities in mainland China. But the previously served cities of Jinan, Kunming, Changsha, Guilin, and Nanning are missing from the list.
    Despite dropping five destinations, The South China Morning Post report suggests the recent Civil Aviation Administration of China decision was a positive outcome for the Cathay Pacific Group. Given the travel downturn, the financial turbulence at Cathay Pacific, and their sometimes strained relationship with the mainland Chinese Government, rights to fly to 15 plus cities in mainland China is not a bad outcome.

https://simpleflying.com/cathay-loses-china-routes/

Original Post Deleted
    Not so much kill, but marginalise, I can believe that. CX loses routes to mainland airlines, it's share price already hammered by HK govt stays depressed whilst Chinese airlines bounce back quicker.

At it's low valuation it's a much easier target for a takeover by Chinese airlines with BJ's blessing...
    hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Not so much kill, but marginalise, I can believe that. CX loses routes to mainland airlines, it's share price already hammered by HK govt stays depressed whilst Chinese airlines bounce back quicker.

At it's low valuation it's a much easier target for a takeover by Chinese airlines with BJ's blessing...
    CX is now, rightly or wrongly, associated with British colonial era, the fact it is majority owned by Swire surely does not help. So it is "politically incorrect" by virtue of its ownership. The new aviation darling for the HK government is the Greater Bay Airlines.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 08-02-2021 at 05:26 PM.
    hongkong7 and MatthieuTofu like this.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8