Like Tree108Likes

Cathay Pacific Layoffs / RIP Dragon..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cathay Pacific Layoffs / RIP Dragon..

Updated: https://geoexpat.com/forum/418/threa...ml#post3755698

Saw this in Mingpao...

According to government sources, Cathay Pacific’s board of directors will announce a restructuring plan as soon as Friday. If approved, it will be implemented immediately. The union stated that the rumors of layoffs in the past few days affected the mood of employees and hoped that the management would announce the news as soon as possible; Cathay Pacific replied that it would not comment on various speculations and rumors in the market.
    The plan will focus on layoffs and salary reductions; also known as the scale of the layoffs or similar to the previous layoffs of Cathay Pacific’s main competitor and Singapore Airlines. There are thousands of people, of which Hong Kong employees account for the vast majority. Cabin attendants are cut by more than half, and ground handling, logistics support and pilots may also be laid off. Once the relevant plan is approved by the board of directors, it will be implemented immediately.
    Pilots and cabin attendants who can "keep their jobs" also have to sign new contracts and change some of the employment conditions; management will have to reduce salaries, and the higher the senior level. The larger the margin, the rest of the employees do not need to reduce their salaries, but they may continue to take unpaid leave next year.
    According to "Wireless News", Cathay Pacific plans to lay off nearly 6,000 employees worldwide, of which more than 5,000 are Hong Kong employees, most of which are cabin attendants.
    https://m.mingpao.com/pns/%E8%A6%81%...80%BE%E5%8D%8A
    Last edited by shri; 21-10-2020 at 08:14 AM.

some of those pilots with older contracts can have some amazing (and expensive) benefits like full housing etc. I suppose the cabin attendants will have to go back to trafficking drugs to supplement their income.

I suppose the cabin attendants will have to go back to trafficking drugs to supplement their income.
    Jeez ... lets not escalate this on the first reply!

I do feel sympathy for those under threat, but it's absolutely exceptional circumstances - their industry has effectively been flatlined for months and isn't likely to show a full recovery for years. I don't really understand how anything but massive layoffs can be expected unless the government (all the governments) is willing to pretty much come in with a blank cheque.

Well the "Dragon" brand always was a ripoff, so well done for now just calling it a part of over-priced Cathay.

Finally, we might see housing prices come down.

No paycuts for junior staff, but have to contend with unpaid leave - I wonder how much?
    Not great - but also seems no worse than at other airlines - e.g. United.

Regarding cabin attendants trafficking drugs: was that just random innuendo, or has that been a thing? On which routes?

housing prices come down
    Fail to see the correlation... May be beaches will also open...
    TaD_LaLa, Nep, Kowloon72 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Jeez ... lets not escalate this on the first reply!
    You have no idea what flight attendants do

https://liveandletsfly.com/lufthansa...-into-germany/

I know id rather the pilots who fly my aircraft are well reimbursed without distractions when they take flight

Rather like going under the knife with a surgeon who's paid minimum wage to save a buck

Paxbritannia and misshappy26 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast