Like Tree34Likes

Cathay Union: "Don't sign new contracts" ...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I don't think the original contract imputed severance payments on being fired, and in HK generally those payments are on good will basis. Good luck if the union think they can go to the court and sue for higher payment in view of the financial situation of the company. If need be just pay back all the loans from the government and declare the company bankrupt for restructuring... then the pilots dont even get a cent this time.

The LIFO (last in first out) rule I think in all fairness has to go. The older pilots have enjoyed higher pay, more perks, for a longer time, compared to what is now industry average. The industry is crippled, time for the older pilots to give it up. They are the ones in best finanical position to now retire early, or start up a new business/hobby, and be able to still enjoy life with less financial/family pressures than the younger ones. I speak in broad terms, but a rule that fires all the young cheaper pilots that have more life stresses and keeps all the old expensive ones doesnt really make much sense at the moment, not good for the industry, not good for the community and economy at large.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The LIFO (last in first out) rule I think in all fairness has to go. The older pilots have enjoyed higher pay, more perks, for a longer time, compared to what is now industry average. The industry is crippled, time for the older pilots to give it up. They are the ones in best finanical position to now retire early, or start up a new business/hobby, and be able to still enjoy life with less financial/family pressures than the younger ones. I speak in broad terms, but a rule that fires all the young cheaper pilots that have more life stresses and keeps all the old expensive ones doesnt really make much sense at the moment, not good for the industry, not good for the community and economy at large.
    Since they can all equally fly the planes, it makes most sense to fire the expensive ones first.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Since they can all equally fly the planes, it makes most sense to fire the expensive ones first.
    Well I'd still prefer to be in a plane that has an experienced pilot alongside a more junior one. So I'm not saying to get rid of ALL the experienced ones and keep the junior ones. But right now CX are following a LIFO policy and all the pilots cut this week have been the junior/younger/cheaper ones. This policy should be scrapped and then they can cut in a more rational way and maintain a balance of experienced and junior pilots. So I don't really have a lot of sympathy for the union if they are trying to keep this particular policy in place.

I think the only pilots cut from CX this week were a couple of hundred currently on probation so not really redundancies. Once the pilots have signed the new contract there will no longer be a LIFO clause. Most seem to think the redundancies have only just started - I guess CX will wait to see how many refuse to sign the new contract and how many they're left with.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    that will not be cheap based on current pay scales, must be cheaper to brute force new contract.
    Most likely scenario is that current pay scales are going to be drastically changed. Airlines all over the world are going bankrupt or cutting 30%+ of staff. There will be plenty of pilots in the years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    I don't think the original contract imputed severance payments on being fired, and in HK generally those payments are on good will basis. Good luck if the union think they can go to the court and sue for higher payment in view of the financial situation of the company. If need be just pay back all the loans from the government and declare the company bankrupt for restructuring... then the pilots dont even get a cent this time.
    I recently went over this with a friend and some of our lawyer friends. My friend is a strong performing sales in the commercial real estate space in one of the big RE firms (JLL, Savilles, CBRE) and he was asked to give up some of his commission from deals that closed this year (give a bigger % to his teammates, smaller % for himself) so you can see how firms think the economy will be quite bad going forward. (edit: forgot to mention that my friend is getting laid off in addition to the firm trying to reduce his commissions)

There is some severance owed to the pilots but it is peanuts compared to the money they will lose if they quit.

https://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/faq/cap57l_whole.htm

Q1. Under what circumstances should an employer pay his employee severance payment?
    A1. An employee employed under a continuous contract for not less than 24 months is eligible for severance payment if:
     ( 1 ) he is dismissed by reason of redundancy;
     ( 2 ) his fixed term employment contract expires without being renewed due to redundancy; or
     ( 3 ) is laid off.
    Last edited by Viktri; 23-10-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    shri likes this.

Cx says they have enough pilots for 2021..

https://twitter.com/JournoDannyAero/...289789952?s=20

While it does make sense to let go of some of the senior pilots, they are also the ones who train and supervise the younger ones so a balance has to be maintained. For that reason, Cathay chose to retain a number of more experienced pilots from Dragon in order to facilitate training on that fleet.

TaD_LaLa and Mrs. Jones like this.

I posted this video on another thread.

Pilots & crew are unsung heroes. Many travellers are quite oblivious to the dangers when flying. Experienced crew members are vital in any situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cS1SMptlnQ

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    While it does make sense to let go of some of the senior pilots, they are also the ones who train and supervise the younger ones so a balance has to be maintained. For that reason, Cathay chose to retain a number of more experienced pilots from Dragon in order to facilitate training on that fleet.
    TaD_LaLa and rainylin like this.