Like Tree81Likes

How to prevent the next wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Given a choice between no coronavirus and tourists/outside visitors, Taiwan has chosen the "no coronavirus" option. It's working for them.

Each country is free to make its own choices...

It might be working well health wise and I'm sure that part is appreciated but I doubt that many people particularly in the tourism are enjoying their lives more and describing it as better than normal.

To the contrary, local Taiwan people are flooding hotels and tourist locations and taking advantage of all that this wonderful country has to offer- had a hard time booking a room for Christmas in Tainan, hotels were so full and Christmas is NOT a public holiday here.

Train station is packed on Fridays and Sundays, everyone enjoying life.

Airlines, not so much but that is hardly due to Taiwan, it's international. Taiwan is also supporting affected industries. Also pays anyone who has to go to quarantine. Also some hotel subsidy scheme but not PR so haven't checked this out.

Taiwan: Pandemic winner by a longshot. Also benefitting from how people are pissed off at China and would rather buy from Taiwan (and to avoid US sanctions).

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    To the contrary, local Taiwan people are flooding hotels and tourist locations and taking advantage of all that this wonderful country has to offer- had a hard time booking a room for Christmas in Tainan, hotels were so full and Christmas is NOT a public holiday here.

Train station is packed on Fridays and Sundays, everyone enjoying life.

Airlines, not so much but that is hardly due to Taiwan, it's international. Taiwan is also supporting affected industries. Also pays anyone who has to go to quarantine. Also some hotel subsidy scheme but not PR so haven't checked this out.

Taiwan: Pandemic winner by a longshot. Also benefitting from how people are pissed off at China and would rather buy from Taiwan (and to avoid US sanctions).
    But, but, but the tourist industry!!!!
    dontpanic likes this.

I'm sure the employees of the 17 hotels that have closed in Taipei and those of the 16 others that have suspended operations are very happy about how better than normal life is there.

No doubt Taiwan has done very well and proved that restrictive measures need not destroy the economy as some people think in the western world. There's a line between appreciating the success and claiming that it's better than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I'm sure the employees of the 17 hotels that have closed in Taipei and those of the 16 others that have suspended operations are very happy about how better than normal life is there.

No doubt Taiwan has done very well and proved that restrictive measures need not destroy the economy as some people think in the western world. There's a line between appreciating the success and claiming that it's better than normal.
    You are talking about 33 hotels...OMG.... for a big town like Taipei........ Just open your eyes and see how many hundreds of hotels in Hong Kong are closed or have suspended operation and i dont talk about the shops or restaurants which have been definitly closed...Just have a look only in the street around Mongkok or Tsim Sha Tsui and you will see how mainy mettalic curtains are down....when you are walking its depressing..like a ghost town in some streets
    So yes, I fully agree with MaBinPengChau about taiwan and taiwan people..
    Last edited by etienne43; 02-12-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    TheBrit, hullexile and mrgoodkat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    You are talking about 33 hotels...OMG.... for a big town like Taipei........ Just open your eyes and see how many hundreds of hotels in Hong Kong are closed or have suspended operation and i dont talk about the shops or restaurants which have been definitly closed...Just have a look only in the street around Mongkok or Tsim Sha Tsui and you will see how mainy mettalic curtains are down....when you are walking its depressing..like a ghost town in some streets
    Define hotels - are these the book by the hour variety that are going to struggle even more with closed dancing clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    First a little reminder that there were protests that started impacting the hospitality industry well before the virus. Perhaps you missed those? Second, is anyone saying that HK is doing better than Taiwan? That is certainly not at all what is being said but I can't imagine you would bother with a bit of reading. The comment was that apparently Taiwan is doing better than normal in some ways. I'm merely saying that it might not be everyone's opinion. My opinion is that everywhere sucks at the moment though some slightly less than other and yes for sure it's much better to be in prison in a country that has thousands of sq km to roam than in a small crowded city like HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    First a little reminder that there were protests that started impacting the hospitality industry well before the virus. Perhaps you missed those? Second, is anyone saying that HK is doing better than Taiwan? That is certainly not at all what is being said but I can't imagine you would bother with a bit of reading. The comment was that apparently Taiwan is doing better than normal in some ways. I'm merely saying that it might not be everyone's opinion. My opinion is that everywhere sucks at the moment though some slightly less than other and yes for sure it's much better to be in prison in a country that has thousands of sq km to roam than in a small crowded city like HK.
    Today i have decided one thing.....After writing this message i decided to not read anymore one of your message or stupid comments on every single posts from others...i already noticed that you are always messaging and criticize every single post as they are not according to what you think even if you are wrong or people don't think like you. Enjoy

I would prefer to be stuck in a small crowded city like HK rather than be asked to roam thousnads of sq km with Aramis....

etienne43 and mrgoodkat like this.