Like Tree3Likes

5G Router - HKT - Opinion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tell Spamvigator to put their money where their mouth is!

i.e. Demand a verifiable test to show that you WOULD get those speeds BEFORE such a workaround is accepted.

And remind him/her that a verbal contract ain't worth the paper it is (n't) written on.

ArrynField likes this.

If it's an 8 Mbps line, how can he get 500/100 Mbps?

An 8M line only provides a maximum of 8Mbps/800Kbps

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    If it's an 8 Mbps line, how can he get 500/100 Mbps?

An 8M line only provides a maximum of 8Mbps/800Kbps
    The 5G option is a wireless alternative to the 8mbps line.

I would say that if your friend is a serious gamer, then be very cautious of the 5G options as the latency can be unpredictable and not so stable. But if they are not into gaming, then this is not a factor and they will more than likely be happy with this option.

He's better off with Smartone, but would still need a 5G sim router

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The 5G option is a wireless alternative to the 8mbps line.

I would say that if your friend is a serious gamer, then be very cautious of the 5G options as the latency can be unpredictable and not so stable. But if they are not into gaming, then this is not a factor and they will more than likely be happy with this option.

Double post

He's better off with Smartone, but would still need a 5G sim router
    seriously, please tell us you are drunk when you write all this wifi, internet access this stuff... If so good on you!

If you have friends with CSL / Smartone 5G Sim mobiles, run a SpeedTest to see what 5G speeds are available before you sign up....

If you have friends with CSL / Smartone 5G Sim mobiles, run a SpeedTest to see what 5G speeds are available before you sign up....
    Do they have PAYG 5G sims in the market?

Regardless of network config etc, I suspect 5G will be hyper sensitive to location?

Note that there are 2 different sets of frequencies in use for 5G - what they call 'sub-6' is pretty much only deployed in the US, is indeed very short range, but is extremely high speed, while the regular service deployed in most other places (including Hong Kong) has fairly similar range to 4G, and should have higher speeds and maybe lower latency, but not massively so. The main benefit at this point, which could be significant in Hong Kong, is that it should be able to handle more users (aka higher density) without degrading as much...

TheRoadAhead likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Note that there are 2 different sets of frequencies in use for 5G - what they call 'sub-6' is pretty much only deployed in the US, is indeed very short range, but is extremely high speed, while the regular service deployed in most other places (including Hong Kong) has fairly similar range to 4G, and should have higher speeds and maybe lower latency, but not massively so. The main benefit at this point, which could be significant in Hong Kong, is that it should be able to handle more users (aka higher density) without degrading as much...
    got it so not much difference. I have 4G speed of 300 Mbps in a suburban area in Europe and I’m sure HK “5G” speeds are nowhere near that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast