Like Tree27Likes

Dec 13 - 92 Local Cases + 3 Imported

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    Your comprehension of probability as pitiful as ever.

"relatively healthy" implies something was amiss or it would be "healthy". It would be nice to know what the qualifier meant, just so we can all judge our own risk. (possibly overweight for example, which is something I have seen with a number of people in the US who were referred to as "healthy". Something I note being overweight myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Ask anyone in Vancouver or Seattle how much they are worrying.
    Enough to modify building codes, have regular drills in schools and educating the population on how to deal with it when it happens. Certain idiots seem to think that taking precautionary measures for times of crisis means living in fear. Others might think it's simply sensible.

Aforementioned idiots might also equate a pandemic to car accidents and mention that we don't ban cars because of accidents. No but there are a whole slew of measures from licensing requirements to safety measures and traffic laws to minimize risks.
    Sith, calmathetic9 and nickvv like this.

Sorry, didn't see any thread(s)/posts regarding Dec 14th Covid update, so just posted it here. The purpose is to let people know in simple words -- they should get to know it clearly that this virus doesn't let you off just because you're "young and healthy". The end.

Name:  PhotoGrid_1607875436004.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  391.0 KB

Last edited by hannah01; 14-12-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Go on then, spend your life worrying about extremely low likelihood events if it makes you feel somehow socially responsible. Do let us know how that additional stress keeps you so safe now, won't you.

Ha ha, yeah those! Terrified when the next one will strike!
    There is no logic in your comment. More people survived than died in WW II so there was nothing to worry about.

As long as HK doesn’t turn into a Europe or US I’m not that worried, but @chuckster007 is right they should have reported it (they do report the 85 year olds when they die)

I do have a close relative who was in his 50’s and as healthy as one can be, who passed away due to Covid. So yeah keep on saying that it is nothing to worry about.
    TheBrit likes this.

Good article about Japan in this week's Economist.

TL;Dr: tests don't help much, metro systems are fine if masked, avoid crowded indoor settings, clamp down hard on clusters.

https://www.economist.com/asia/2020/...tter-than-most

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    There is no logic in your comment. More people survived than died in WW II so there was nothing to worry about.

As long as HK doesn’t turn into a Europe or US I’m not that worried, but @chuckster007 is right they should have reported it (they do report the 85 year olds when they die)

I do have a close relative who was in his 50’s and as healthy as one can be, who passed away due to Covid. So yeah keep on saying that it is nothing to worry about.
    Sorry to hear about your relative, everyone that dies is a sad loss to someone.

But how do you propose we should respond to the death or a 42yr old HK woman? We've already shut down international travel, closed business's, enforced work from home, enforced universal mask wearing, fast-tracked treatments, developed vaccines etc etc.

On a local, national or global level the percentage of people in their 40's that will die of covid is tiny. And the chance of someone today dying of covid in their 40's is significantly lower than the tiny chance people faced earlier in the year.

So I stand by my comment, there is no need to add any additional worry for extremely unlikely events like that, as society is already taking massive mitigating steps. We've known since Jan that people of ALL ages can die of covid, however it's counterproductive to focus on individual deaths and elevate them to levels of major statistical significance when they are still extremely low probability occurrences.

Yes it's the worst case scenario for the few individuals unlucky enough to succumb, just as it is for 'relatively healthy' people who die of all the other afflictions out there, but worrying about that over the thousands of other things that might cut short someone's life in middle age just because one more middle aged death has happened to occur in HK is very highly emotional for sure, but very far from logical.
    JC83 and HK_Katherine like this.

3 cases total in my building in the past two weeks.
    2 female / 1 Male - 2 of them below 40 yrs old. Only 1 is 60+ years old.

Anyone else have cases in their building.