Like Tree217Likes

21 days quarantine

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

It's kind of ridiculous that it doesn't take into consideration actual numbers per country. To make someone from NZ stay in a hotel for 21 days is crazy.

Some people have dying relatives in other countries, but businesses here that rely on them. It's a sad situation and seems quite disproportionate to the damage the virus has caused in our city.

Again... we've been bad boys and girls here in HK, with an unchecked government... not a nice combination to be stuck in.

Original Post Deleted
    ya.. this is something most people that sees singapore as the holy grail didn't realize... how impactful the singapore authority is... haha

To be honest, i think HKer also are the 'resourceful' type and tries to take advantages of the grey area, which is something 1. newzealanders in new zealand (excluding those in Taiwan) is responsible enough not to do, and 2. singaporeans that are super obedient never learnt how to do....

so ended up sometimes painful and draconian measures are needed to handle that small 0.1/0.2% of people.. since the legal system goes by law and doesn't allow for much exceptions.. (judges tend to throw out cases where gaps in government law made the culprit's crime debatable)..

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. It may have little basis in science in terms of transmission but it's an excellent deterrent. Maybe they're not happy with the high number of travelers combined with new strains emerging so the message is simple: You want to travel in the middle of a pandemic? OK we'll let you do it but it's gonna cost you. Note that travel is even more limited in Australia and New Zealand so this is not about democratic governance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. It may have little basis in science in terms of transmission but it's an excellent deterrent. Maybe they're not happy with the high number of travelers combined with new strains emerging so the message is simple: You want to travel in the middle of a pandemic? OK we'll let you do it but it's gonna cost you. Note that travel is even more limited in Australia and New Zealand so this is not about democratic governance.
    Those are COUNTRIES.

It's going to cost you, but some people cannot pay those prices and it leads to unethical separation.

In the past, before the advent of commercial air travel, I think the prices of inter-continental travel would have been equally so high, but the the thing is, we didn't come to expect or plan our lives around this. So expectations living abroad at the time of family deaths recently were completely different than they would have been in 1900...

There's also the mental health toll. I personally don't think I would do very well 14 days in a hotel, much less 21.

@Elegiaque - The people who decided this 21 day quarantine rule couldn't give two shits about people who had to travel abroad for whatever reason, they don't give two fucks if the travelers can handle being locked up 21 days in a small room. What they are trying to do is deter people coming back potentially bringing in more positive cases. If the person still insist on coming back, let them jump through many hoops is what they are trying to do.

Good luck to anyone who still comes back, I heard its 21 days quarantine and you have to choose the meal package as well with the designated hotel, triple price gouging you cant just book a room and order food from outside. you are at the mercy of eating spam instant noodles everyday

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    What they are trying to do is deter people coming back potentially bringing in more positive cases. If the person still insist on coming back, let them jump through many hoops is what they are trying to do.
    Since everyone has to quarantine anyway what does it matter how many positive cases are coming back? They don't get to walk around. Imported cases have mostly been in the single digits every day and we have less cases overall than we had during the third wave. I don't see how anyone can be okay with the government having the power of imprisoning you for the crime of returning home.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    In the past, before the advent of commercial air travel, I think the prices of inter-continental travel would have been equally so high, but the the thing is, we didn't come to expect or plan our lives around this. So expectations living abroad at the time of family deaths recently were completely different than they would have been in 1900...
    As you pointed out, generations of people did far worse, when I first went overseas, there was no coming back, there was no video calls, phone calls were 3USD/min so that was not really an option either because I didn't have the money. People died when I was away including mother and stepmother. It's unfortunate and disappointing but that's life and we're in the middle of the biggest crisis the world has seen for several generation. Still nothing compared to a world war but it's a good time to learn a bit about discipline and sacrifice. Obviously not something that younger generations are very familiar with...

I don't necessarily agree with the 21 day quarantine but I can see why they're doing it and as I said, if people really want something then pay the price, if not too bad,this is a pandemic, lots of people are suffering and life goes on. With the new strains, it also exposes all the front line workers involved in the travel and quarantine process. Less travelers means less risk for them. I'm more concerned about going back to more manageable measures for 7 million people than for the plight of a few thousand who choose to travel.

If someone had been in Taiwan 16 days prior to returning to Hong Kong and before that had spent a few days in Europe since originally leaving Hong Kong, would they now need to spend 21 days in a hotel, or would it be 14 days home quarantine after their return to Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I don't see how anyone can be okay with the government having the power of imprisoning you for the crime of returning home.
    Govt computer replied "We dont care what people think, if you dont like it dont come back"

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast