Like Tree286Likes

Jan 06, 2021 - Over 50 Opposition Lawmakers Arrested

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Curious - did anyone else vote in the primaries and is anyone else worried about potential legal repercussions?
    I voted. As it happens, I'm not a registered voter, but since it wasn't an official vote of any sort, that didn't matter. They have said that they destroyed all information on who participated as soon as they'd counted the votes - I wonder if we're going to find out how good their opsec was...

would those who simply cast their votes be arrested as well?

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    would those who simply cast their votes be arrested as well?
    Unlikely as it would be a lot of people. But they received the message loud and clear and won’t ever do it again. I think the authorities will be satisfied with that.

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Curious - did anyone else vote in the primaries and is anyone else worried about potential legal repercussions?
    “Several days after the election, we destroyed all the [personal] information; we have physically crushed all the hard disks with information inside. Nobody who participated in the primary should be afraid of any information leak,” Chung said.
    https://hongkongfp.com/2021/01/06/ho...puty-director/

What would/could the US do in response to the arrest of one of its citizen under pretext of the NSL?

The US are quite busy with Georgia and counting their electors at the moment. And they might be so until Inauguration Day and possibly a while after that, if Trumpers really do their worst until they can.
    The timing can’t be casual.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baklava:
    The timing can’t be casual.
    Indeed. And China just concluded the EU investment deal. This makes Merkel looks like she is simply selling out human rights for trade...or just foolish. But she is on her way out, so she probably doesn't care. Whoever becomes the next Chancellor will have a lot of explaining to do.

Of course, the US media will ask Pompeo, and he will have to say something...

Hasn’t been approved by the EU Council or ratified by the European Parliament yet though?

shri and mucaari like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Hasn’t been approved by the EU Council or ratified by the European Parliament yet though?
    Well, its usually a done deal...although I don't know if this latest action will affect the EU decision...I suspect not. Trade and economics always play a bigger factor for the EU with China. America's "de-coupling" with China, Trump's aim, was never going to work for Europe.

well, if a million or two people were to leave Hong Kong, I guess Carrie Lam would have the housing problem solved.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast