Like Tree41Likes

Regina Ip: foreign citizenship or right of abode in Hong Kong

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Australia allows dual citizenship. The controversy in the link you shared is over MPs, who are not allowed to be nationals of another country.
    Yes I know Australia allow dual citizenship but the message is clear, if you are a politician and wanting to run the country, bottom line is that you have to be loyal to the country. In this way you will have people who manage the country at the best of interest!

Quote Originally Posted by ramelec:
    Yes I know Australia allow dual citizenship but the message is clear, if you are a politician and wanting to run the country, bottom line is that you have to be loyal to the country. In this way you will have people who manage the country at the best of interest!
    I think the misunderstanding is that Regina, as quoted in the OP, is talking about all people in Hong Kong not just politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by ramelec:
    As far as I am aware all members of the executive branch of government in Hong Kong have given up foreign passports if they had them. Mrs Ip is suggesting to be a HK'er you must give up any foreign right of abode.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    As far as I am aware all members of the executive branch of government in Hong Kong have given up foreign passports if they had them.
    Indeed it is a requirement to do so. Carrie Lam had to renounce her British nationality in 2007 to do just that. Of course, in all cases the rest of the family keeps theirs - they have their insurance sorted. Especially those former colonial civil servants who have full British Citizenship, none of that wishy-washy BN(O) stuff for them.

Regina is probably having a jab a Carrie Lam's husband and children.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Regina is probably having a jab a Carrie Lam's husband and children.
    seems more like scoring brownie points to appease the central government and prove "loyality"

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    Wasn't there already talk of Britain not requiring a physical BN(O) but merely requiring the status to be treated as such? If so I don't see what HK/China can do.
    Yes which these news stories always fail to mention. They completely miss the point that right now you don't even need a BNO passport to use the BNO route to the UK, so how could they enforce any block on it.

She is echoing voices that came before her.

It has been advocated by the People’s Daily since the umbrella protests of 2014 and brought up by other big wigs in recent months.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/asiatime...g-kong-exodus/

Weak attempt to dissuade people from going...130k out the door since July 2020 already apparently.

And now the reason why the story was started.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...lic-office-ban

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3